Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been battling an ant infestation the past few days--they've been going after Tiffany's food dish. I've finally moved his cage to a new, ant-free part of the house, but I think the ants were biting at Tiffany's nose whenever he went to eat before, as he's developed a swollen red spot on one side of his upper lip. I monitored the swelling for three days and it hasn't gone down. I've made a vet appointment for Friday in case there's any infection, but in the meantime, has anyone else seen something like this before? Do you think it's irritation from ant bites, or something else? Is there anything I can do to help treat this? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It's just best to wait it out until you get her to the vet. Applying anything or doing anything to it without knowing what could've caused it 100% could make things worse. The only thing I can say is keep the cage clean and remember to clean the food bowls daily too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update!

So I had the vet go ahead and knock Tiffany out and aspirate the bump. She said it popped like a pimple! She flushed all the nasty stuff out and now the bump is gone. We've put the little guy on an antibiotic course just to make sure he's all clean. He's very peppy and alert 1 hour later and is eating and pooping and acting very much himself.

So watch out for ants, everyone! They'll nibble on your hedgie's snoot!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts