Hedgehog Central banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you or someone you know is comfortable around basic tools there is an awesome DIY bucket wheel you can make yourself for about 15 bucks and is just as quiet if not more than the "Silent Spinner". I made ours in about 30 min and it turned out awesome. Here's the link to the instructions...

http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content/view/128/42/

One thing tho, I found that I had to cut the pieces of PVC that went down to the base like an upside down Y a lot shorter than they instructed as to not have the bucket so high off the ground (yes it is completely level i used a ball to make sure that it didn't roll out the front on its own even with a near 1 lb of pressure in the wheel), Id advise leaving those pieces unglued to the base so they can be cut if needed. Also if you have an ACE hardware near you, their buckets slope where they meet the bottom inside which make them easier to clean as you can see in this pic of mine. I also left out the front piece of PVC on the base as its very sturdy without it and i felt it was just more in the way. I had a SS and a comfort wheel both before I decided to make one and they were both louder than this one (specially the CW), We love this one tho, you should try it ;) Good Luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hahaha that looks so difficult to make. I think id rather spend the money and she refuse it then myself making something and putting so much effort AND money into it and have her hate it. hahaha

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I have some Comfort wheels and they can be an okay wheel. Yes, they can be noisey but I find that a gob of vasaline on the inner and outer part of the shaft will quieten them down immensely. Sometimes a hair scrunchy or a piece of cloth around the metal frame and slightly against the wheel will help.

I often use them for rescues who are quarantined in my bedroom and the first night or two it is annoying but then I never notice it. I'm a light sleeper too.

They can come off the frame but I have an easy fix that not only prevents that from happening but also ensures they can't tip over.

There is a thread here about the Cake Walk Supreme problems. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1761

And here is new person now selling Cake pan wheels. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4544

I no longer will give recommendations on anyone selling wheels. I've now recommended 3 wheel makers who have all proven to be unreliable and I feel bad for recommending these people. Never again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't throw out the worms just yet... sometimes it takes a little while for them to accept a treat from a new owner! According to her old owner, Artemis loved mealworms. She wouldn't eat them for 2+ weeks when she first moved in with us! She loves them now, though. Keep trying!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
BleedingBlack said:
-So any sort of wheel with holes is a big no no?
Yup. If it's a big enough hole, they can get feet/legs caught in them and break something. If it's small holes, they can get toes/nails caught in them and again break something.

·
Registered
651 Posts
moxiesmom said:
I sent my mom out to go buy the saucer. ill let you guys know how it goes. thanks for all the advice. :)
Buy it from a petsmart if you can... I live in Calgary AB too and I buy all my gear from there and if my hedgies won't use it, I just return it. As long as it's clean and not used, they have always taken it back (and I've returned a lot of stuff! :lol: )

Just thought I'd let you know :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.