Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im all moved in and finally am able to have my hedgie to myself (mother has been spoiling her and taking all her attention) When i was still at home, she was kept upstairs while i slept in another room. Last night i heard the annoying wheel more than i ever have. OMG what was i thinking????? Rickity, rickity, rickity... hahaha Any suggestions on cheap wheels that i can put in her cage that are just as amazing as this CSW? was that what it was called? i looked up the website for the wheel that everyone's talking about but you cant order it due to overflow AND i heard it was expensive? So anything close to? I REALLY want to sleep tonight....

Comfort wheel?

·
Registered
334 Posts
What wheel are you using now? I have a Flying Saucer and a bucket wheel. Both are very easy to clean and look nice. I would not use a Comfort Wheel, my hog is too big for it and I hear it's noisy and very difficult to clean.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im using a standard metal wire wheel right now..

So a bucket wheel or flying saucer... arnt those lying down though? It wouldnt be big enough to put in her cage i think. i dont mind getting ehr one for her play pen but thats mainly for running around and i dont think shed even bother using it if im watching or if its in daylight (which is when she plays in the evening) i just want to sleep tonight... and dont want to take the wheel away from her cause she actually likes it if shes using it all night..

·
Registered
902 Posts
Metal wire wheel? If it is the mesh-track type those are unsafe for hedgies. Their toes and nails can get caught in the tiny holes.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Please remove it. :)
They are not hedgehog safe because the nail can get caught. What area do you live? Many breeders make bucket wheels and PetSmart sells the Flying Saucer. Have you seen them? I have a picture of each in this thread if you want to see them.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4718

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
If your strapped for cash the Giant 12in.Comfort Wheel will be alot better choice.
They range from $9-$20usd depending on where you shop.
http://www.4littlepets.com/search.aspx? ... fort+wheel
The comfort wheel is nowhere near silent but there is a few things you can do to make it less noisy.
Putting a hair scrunchie around the spindle will help or alittle vasoline around the spindle.

P.S. I see your new here and just wanted to say welcome to HHC :D

·
Registered
5,914 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no plastic. the spaces are a lot closer together than in the picture... I'm not sure, the pet store was the one who recommended it... i asked her about it asking if it were possible that her legs could get caught and she said that's its never happened and that she would be fine... shes been using it for the last 2 weeks. Clearly ill be removing it tonight once i get home from work but ill need to get another.

and i live in Calgary, Alberta for the one who asked.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the flying saucer.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ri&rls=en&sa=N&um=1&ei=Sq9lS83TENPOlAf5-MyUCg

And let me just tell you, is it extremely easy to clean... No unscrewing, no metal, you can just lift up the top part and put it in the sink. Actually what I do is set it in the sink so it makes a bowl shape, then fill it with really hot water and let it sit. Then the stuck poopy mess just wipes off.

And it is virtually silent. The only noise I hear from the wheel is the little pitter patter of Brillo's feet running.... not the wheel itself.

I have a video of him running on it if you are not convinced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gosh im finding out that im just wasting a ton of money right now. She wont eat her worms, there's money in the trash, she wont eat the cottage cheese, money in the trash, bought a wheel, not gonna work, parents bought her a big ball to go into. ( find out its not good for her) that's a waste for them. *le sigh* i think i have no choice but to get that slanted one... Lets hope she likes it. :) Ill update in a few days.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.