Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello !

Found this awesome website while researching about caring for hoglets. i'm currently fostering 3 4 week old european hoglets back to health to re release in a safe area where a lot of other rehabilitated hedgies have been released before. unfortunately theyre considered a pest here in new zealand and is very rare to know of anyone to have one as a pet here. But, there is an awesome team at hedgehog rescue NZ who take in and foster orphans and hurt hedgehogs all over new zealand. im in contact with them and decided to foster these guys myself because its the biggest time of year for hedgies to be sick or lost. (one womans fosterings 35 at the moment!)

i found these little guys on my property, 2 in the same day hours apart :( and the little girl the very next day.

this is the first boy warming up from day 1 (blue, un-named yet)

photo of him last night being cute

this is buster houdini, hes the second found. this is him
warming up on a heatpad after being found.

hes the only one with a name because hes managed to escape 3 times.
in photo i underestimated the height of the 1.0 playpen (we're up to 3.0)

this is the little girl warming up after being found
shes the one in my profile picture, she loves to eat like that.

this is a photo of them all curled up last night on their heatpad.

this is their day time play pen( has had stuff added since like a wheel) so they have room to run around, i take them out individually too to run around further :)

theyre gaining well, houdini is 30g smaller than the other two but being syringe fed every 4 hours till hes back to gaining and eating on his own again. theyre free of maggots and fly eggs which is great! and another cool fact about the nz euro's is:In Europe hedgehogs carry a large number of the hedgehog flea (Archaeopsylla erinacei). But it appears that none survived the six-month voyage to New Zealand in the 19th century, so the New Zealand animals are free of fleas.

so figured id say hello! awesome website and so cute to see the little pygmy breed on here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for doing this!! You're amazing! Welcome to you all :)
its the right thing to do and their survival rate after being rehabilitated is pretty high too :D their release area is in a pest free zone and away from roads so i know they will be happy and safe. will just be extremely hard to say goodbye but thats months away. theyre very helpful in the wild for gardens and ive always appreciated them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
their release area is in a pest free zone and away from roads so i know they will be happy and safe.
You going to release a "pest" (since that is what hedgehogs are classed as here in NZ) into an area that has been cleared ? That probably wouldn't be a great idea if so .. plus I've no idea the fine DOC would slap on you if they found out.

Keep the little critters as permanent pets, find some nice kids to pass them on to, just DON'T release them they are not supposed ot be here and even at school they teach the kids how to trap and dispose of non-native pests.

Nothing wrong with being kind but remember to be responsible as well :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts