Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new hedgie owner, i have had Arasu for about month now and I'm getting used to things with him. Every week I clean his cage out and give him a bath but as soon as I put him back into his clean cage he will start to anoint. He will start licking the walls of his cage and regurgitating up a pink froth, he has only done this twice, once last week and once today. I'm worried that he's consuming the cage cleaner and that it will harm him. I read somewhere that when hedgehogs smell something new in their surroundings they anoint as a means of camouflage and/or to put the toxin onto their spines to warn off predators. Just wanted to see if anyone else's hedgie's do anything similar and if I should be worried. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
What kind of cleaner are you using? If it's anything with chemicals I would be worried about him licking it, and maybe switch over to something more natural.

The first time I cleaned by girl's wheel with cleaner, she annointed with it. It's a 50/50 mix of wateenand white vinegar. She only did it once, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i used to just use water when i have the cage liners but he started burying himself under it and so i had to get rid of it cause i didnt want him to suffocate. ive been using watered down detol now. ill try the vinegar till i find something more natural. thanks :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.