Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have three little 2 week and 3 day old babies. I noticed today, when I was taking mom out for her feeding that the little boy was licking his quills like he was anointing! He didn't have the froth like his mom does when she anoints, but it was so funny. I didn't think they would do that this early. Mom had anointed a few minutes earlier with an earthworm I had feed her, that was the only thing I could think of that he was anointing with. Has anyone seen little ones do this behavior so early? Just too cute for words. I know people say that are "not sure of the cause" but does anyone have ideas/theories? Is it a happy behavior?

~k

·
Registered
244 Posts
:lol:
i heard babies annoint with everything ALL the time lol. its funny watchin hedgies annoint themselves..they seem so...i don't know, non flexible? but then when they annoint they twist like there playing twister :mrgreen:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No kidding! It was sooooo funny! My mom had just asked me if the babies had anointed and I was like "Gosh no!" and then the next thing I knew, there was the little one twisting and licking with his long tongue all over his back, it was toooooo funny!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I've seen some picture of babies anointing before. It is really cute.

My theory for why they anoint is that it is mating related. This is because almost everytime Quigley anoints it turns into special boy time. It sort of makes sense then that they usually anoint with food. Kind of like they are saying "hey look at/smell all the great food I've got! Don't you want to mate with me?" That also explains why males tend to do it more than females because the males of the species tend to be the ones to impress/win over the females. Although with that logic it doesn't make sense that females anoint at all. *shrug*

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Theres lots of theorys and one that seems likely to me is that they annoint to make their quills have an irritant on them when they poke into an attackers skin. Kinda add to the "leave me alone and don't try it again" lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhhh! Larry that is too much cuteness for me to handle!! I love her!! Thanks for posting that wonderful clip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts