Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! So I have a fun annointing story, and figured I would start a thread so we can all share the funny/interesting things our beloved hedgies find good enough to rub all over themselves.

So I got hungry the other afternoon, and decided to eat an orange. I peeled it as I was sitting at my desk, and left the rind pieces on my lap. I later threw them away, but I guess some of the orange juice must have soaked into my pants because later that afternoon I took Turbo out and he IMMEDIATELY starting sniffing around and licking my pants leg, right where I had peeled the orange earlier. Now, I am well aware that hedgies should not eat citrus fruit, but just for curiosity's sake, I grabbed a piece of the rind and let him sniff it. He latched on and would not let go. Finally I managed to pry it from his mouth, at which point he proceeded to annoint...all over. It was vastly entertaining.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
That is a hilarious picture! I haven't seen Inky annoint many times, but the times he has it's been pretty funny.

Two days ago I went to the dentist for a cleaning, and they gave me a flower. I don't know why, they just did. So, I took my pink-and-red carnation home, put it in water, and thought it would be cute to get a picture of Inky next to said flower. With this intent, I collected camera, flower, and Inky. Then I set up a small blanket to take the pictures on. I laid down the flower, turned on the camera, and placed Inky artistically next to the flower. What happened next made it extremely difficult to get a picture, because I was laughing too hard! Inky turned around, hissed ferociously, and tried to slaughter the carnation! He was hissing and chomping and scratching with his paws, slobbering all over. It was really quite funny, but I stopped him because I was afraid he'd eat part of it and get sick. (Are carnations, or any flowers you know of, poisonous?) I managed one or two pictures in which Inky shows his irritation with the botanical object. I will post it as soon as I move them to the computer...

I have also seen Inky annoint with my hand, a french fry, and a chunk of petrified wood!

Edit: Here is the best picture I could get (the only that wasn't a blurr) of Inky near the flower. He's got his quills down on the side the flower is...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nook's never really done any funny things while annoiting. D=
But he always seems to do it after eating. o.o Like if I give him different flavored cat-food (as a treat) he'll annoit after eating it. o.o He's a goof. But I rarely see him annoit anymore. =o

·
Registered
7 Posts
one time i was laying on the couch licorice hanging from mouth and dodger on tummy then all of a sudden i feel something tugging on the licorice and there is dodger pulling on it like a dog and a tug-o-war rope.. and then he started anointing he had red quills for a week and i had a red stained shirt..

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hedgie adores my teddy bears that I sleep with every night ! ^_^
My sweet lil guy annoints every time he gets near them after a few cute lil chews it's gymnastic time lol. He's so flexible all I can usually think is man if I tried that ouch !

·
Registered
508 Posts
haha those pics are really funny Rogue!
everyones pics are relly cute!!!
ill have to see if i can find any of daisy.. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
annointing is when hedgehogs lick and bite something that smells good and then creates a foam in there mouth and they spred it over there quills, quite a funny thing to watch :D sometimes they wil get so into it they fall over :lol: daisy has done that quite a few times :)

and btw your hedgehog is really really cute!! i love albinos. there noses are so cute and pink! :mrgreen: ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have yet to see Pepper annoint. Does anyone have any suggestions on any scents/flavors that can trigger annointing? I know it's different for every hedgehog, but hey, it still helps! I just want to see it for myself, because judging from the pictures, it would be absolutely adorable! :lol:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Read what ppl in this post said caused hedgies to annoint and try it. (you can't have my smell though. It worked on Jade... but i think that would be hard to obtain. Only cuz i live all the way on Pluto. It is no longer a planet! MY DIGNITY! Oh no! MY RABIES! :D MOUTH FOAM!!!(no lines)) :arrow: :geek: :ugeek: silly Zach. :roll:

·
Registered
289 Posts
lol. Yes, that would be virtually impossible to get your smell. Plus, my hedgie doesnt know you, so i dont think it would work... :lol: but yeah, i'll just look at what made the other hedgies annoint. i just figured i would ask.

·
Registered
508 Posts
well a few things that made daisy annoint was sweet potado baby food, (wich made her orange) :lol: green beans baby food, wich she wouldint eat, just play with ;) once a banana.
and also an apple once of twice :D oh and once i gave her a empty cereal box and she annointed with that :shock: hahaha. anyways hope that helps!!! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fruit Loops I've heard of other hedgies annointing with them as well as my own if you have them kicking around it's worth a shot. Mine also annoints with my teddy bears , carpet , a rock and almost any male he meets Oh and my hands after cleaning ( they smell of vinegar )

·
Registered
336 Posts
My little girl Q anoints all the time.

Here is a picture of her the first night we had her home, tasting the comforter in our room:

And here she is anointing with a fruit loop (I am aware it is not a good idea to feed junk food to hedgehogs).:

I was eating some fruit loops out of the box and watching tv, and I left her crawl towards the box, curious as to what she would do I let her have one of them.

My other hedgehogs are usually less interested in new smells.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts