Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my boyfriend's hedgie never got handled much, so he gets super puffy whenever I take him out to socialize. The other day when I had him out I noticed that he has dry skin pretty much all over. I read on another post that some people have used olive oil and a q-tip to help heal the dry skin. Now, this might work on my super lovey female, but Scrambles just isn't having any of it. When I tried he just pulls his quills in closer together. Also, he kind of sucks in whenever i touch him. I'm scared that this started awhile ago and maybe it hurts him to have someone touch him because his skin in so dry. I was thinking about trying an oatmeal soak tonight. anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Poor little guy. Hopefully you can make him feel a little better, and get him more socialized.
I'm not sure about the q-tip... I've never heard anything about that, maybe someone else has.
Is he losing quills? You might want to get him checked for mites, which can cause dry skin.

There are a few different things you can do. The oatmeal bath should help. Some people like to stir a few drops of olive oil into the rinse water at the end of a bath. Check out this thread: http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=76

You can also add flax seed oil to the food. A capsule-full (of the human capsules from the pharmacy area) once or twice a week can help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I'll try giving him a bath tonight when I get home from the store. I'll also pick up some flax seed oil. I don't think he has mites because he's not scratching at all. He just seems depressed, dry, and angry. I have him on my lap and he's just laying here with his head down, not hissing, poping or anything :( thank you for your help tho, I'll try out some stuff tonight!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I like flax seed oil the best. You can use it either in the rinse water, directly on their backs, or a couple drops in their food once or twice a week. Unlike Vitamin E, and olive oil, flax seed oil is more water soluble so washes off in the next bath and doesn't build up.

Be careful using too much on the food as it can give them the runs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I've been putting the flax seed oil in his food and I also gave him an oat meal bath. His skin doesn't seem to have gotten any better. I had him on the bed today and he left behind a lot of flaked off skin. could that be an indication of mites? If so, is there a possibility he could pass them on to me?

·
Administrator
3,707 Posts
Dietary fixes typically require at least 4 weeks before you start to see major improvements.

For mine, I start adding a supplement of omega fatty acids (I use a powder called missing link) and add a couple of drops of vitamin e oil or flaxseed oil to their back to immediate relief. Vitamin e oil works great, however it is very thick and more sticky than flaxseed oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts