Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 8 months ago, our hedgie Samus had her foot removed due to an incident with string cutting off circulation. She was doing fantastic without it and exploring as always. Recently in the past 2 weeks she has stopped walking/exploring/playing. We took her to the vet and were told that her nails are growing back through her stub (which makes sense in my mind since they were still growing on her "boot scab" for lack of a better term). He said its not infected and to let her adjust to walking with it/heal with the alternative of amputating higher on her leg (her amputation was at the ankle area/slighter lower in the front) She is still eating and drinking though it seems like it becomes less due to having to walk over to her food tray. When offered a mealworm she is quick to eat it so she isn't avoiding the food itself, just the walking and standing she has to do while eating. i was wondering if anyone else has gone through this situation/something similar. I don't see a reason why this would potentially end up killing her but the lack of exercise worries me. The best i can think of is to make sure she is eating and to cuddle with her so she gets out of her cage every so often.
Thank you guys~

1 - 1 of 1 Posts