Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Sandy was put on amoxicillin for what the vet diagnosed as a GI infection of some kind. We started it Friday night, and he's been getting it morning and night since then. Before bed, I also give him some herbivore/carnivore care mixed with some squash baby food (since he loves that and it makes it easier to get it in him) and some water. He seems himself, but still isn't doing very well.

He went from having all green mucousy poops on Friday to having half normal, half green mucousy poops today. It's been gradually getting a bit better. However, last night he went to eat some of his kibble (yay!) and there's two little spots of vomit on his fleece. He had one little normal-ish looking poop and two really mucousy forest green ones. I'm just looking for some possibilities at what's going on. He's keeping his squash and water down, so that's comforting for sure. But could the amoxicillin be upsetting his stomach? Or could it be because all the squash and herbivore/carnivore care are new to his diet? Basically, I'm wondering whether I should be concerned that he's still pooping funny and throwing up.

I'm probably just an impatient mom and wanting the antibiotics to hurry up :evil: but I was really hoping for some thoughts from anyone who's had experience with amoxicillin or GI infections.

Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
He possibly needs a stronger or different antibiotic. The amoxicillin may have worked well enough to start clearing up the infection which is why you saw improvement, but it's not enough to completely cure it. I'd phone the vet and tell him/her whats happening. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much nancy! Ill definitely do that. Here's hoping for normal poops tomorrow! :lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
My Emma just went through a "bout" of green mucousy poop and the green colour only started to subside after she was put on baytril (was on clavamox for ~ 4 days before baytril was started). Like Nancy said he may just need a stronger anti-biotic. Even with both meds it took almost a week before she started to have normal coloured BMs and was eating on her own. (was also feeding the herbivore/carnivore mix)...goodluck, let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm thanks for the insight mommatobe! We're going back to the vet today so maybe ill suggest baytril. Did you keep Emma on both medications at the same time? Also clavamox is more or less amoxicillin, right? So maybe a combination of amoxicillin and baytril can beat this thing!

Thanks for the tip we'll keep you posted

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes Emma was on both at the same time and Clavamox does have amoxicillin in it. Let us know how it goes! Goodluck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts