Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgie, Flynn, is 8 weeks old and I just want to make sure I'm doing and providing everything right. I clean his cage about once a week (I used fleece that I cut up into tiny rectangles so he can burrow) and clean his food dish, water bottle, and wheel daily. (Usually in the mornings) I also try to pick out poopies and crumbs that seem to be everywhere! After I get home around 4, I fill his food dish with Purina Kitten Chow (first owners choice) and Taste of the Wild. I'm slowly switching him over. His heat stays between 73-80 along with a blanket over half the cage. He has a chew toy, toilet paper tube, and a ball to play with but I don't think he even uses them:\. I have a litter box in one corner for him but he doesn't use that either haha, still in training process. I've been putting some poop in that corner like most sites said to to train him. I actually have a question about a potty training schedule as he seems to poop a lot! Maybe it's the food or I've heard babies poop more often idk but I really need to get a schedule down for him. My usual routine is this:

At around 8 o'clock pm, I wake him up and allow him to actually wake up, cause he can be grouchyyy. Usually he eats and drinks a little bit at this time. After I pick him up (using the bedding method) I have a warm wet bath towel nearby to try to clean his poopy feet but usually I have to give a mini bath. So after I pick him up and put him in the warm towel, I put him in the sink to give a little mini bath, like I said before, to clean his poopy feet. As I'm cleaning his feet, he always poops and pees in the sink. Along with the mongo mess he leaves in his wheel every night, it seems he poops a lot more than normal. Now I feel like he's gaining this habit of pooping in the sink and learning that this is his "litter box." And, you could guess, I don't want that and neither does my mom haha! My questions are, basically, how can I train him to use the litter box efficiently? Does his pooping sound irregular? Is it okay that he doesn't play with his toys? Is my routine for getting him out okay? And does the cage set up sound okay?

Thank you guys! Sorry if that's a lot of questions and descriptions but I just want to make sure my little guy has the best home!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hi there! Sounds like you are doing great!

Just a few (hopefully helpful!) suggestions for ya!

First off just to be safe I would be careful about leaving things in his cage. Not to scare you but many owners recommend only letting hogs around those things...like toilet paper tubes...during supervised playtime. It's up to you but I just want to warn you some will argue it is best to only let them around that stuff when you are there. Otherwise it sounds like you are doing everything right!

As for poop...what a topic! Basically it is just important that you be as patient as you can with litter training and understand for some hogs it just won't happen. You are right that babies poop A LOT. When we first got Henry he was ten weeks old and always pooped all over us and the floor whenever we had him out. He never fully got the hang of litter training but seemed to kind of teach himself to always go either on or behind his wheel. It's great, easy to clean daily. Perhaps your hog will grow into some good habits that are similar. I would say it took maybe 6-8months until he didn't go nearly as much outside of his cage. That being said you will find that there are two places a hog will ALWAYS go. First, of course, is the wheel. Even a litter trained hog will get that wheel nice and dirty each night...no stopping that. The other time most owners notice is in the water. That means even a footbath...and probably definitely in a full bath. Something about the water stimulates the process. But at least the frequency will let up a bit as he gets older so you have that to look forward to!

Bonding and handling just take lots of time and patience...keep up the good work!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Thank you for taking the time to respond! And I've heard not to leave toys in the cage unsupervised but I might take them out anyways because he doesn't play with them. And honestly I feel like one of the most important thing to know about owning a hedgehog, or any pet for the matter, is to be patient. Great things come to those who wait. After all he is only 2 months old, still a baby and still learning. I'm just hoping he does grow good poop habits like your Henry! And I can't wait for him to grow out of his INSANE poopy stage haha! Anyways thanks again for the help. I don't really think there's anything I can do as of right now other than being patient I guess. But thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.