Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a few toys in Oliver's cage, but I took a few out because he never touched them & they always ended up behind the wheel making it hard to run. I still have a little yellow ping pong ball in his cage but it only end's up getting pooped on...
I take him out everyday 2 or more times a day & I normally hold him or take him outside & let him play in the grass. But soon it's going to be cold outside & I'm worried he's going to get bored. just sitting in my hands every time I take him out. I've let him dig in blankets before but he just falls asleep. (not a very exciting play time).
Any ideas to keep him entertained in the winter? He refuses to run on his wheel in front of anyone or with the lights on too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sounds a lot like Sophie. She has zero interest in toys. She never had interest in TP tubes. Nothing. Hedgehogs mostly do not 'play'. Sleeping is her favorite thing. She sleeps like 20 hours a day, and that is not an exaggeration.

If I tried to entertain her, she would probably get huffy. When she was a baby, I was able to watch her wheel a little bit - not much, no more than about a minute. My only wheeling pictures are from when she was like 8 - 11 weeks old. I am sometimes (rarely) allowed to listen to her wheel if I stay absolutely still in her pitch dark room.

Rare action shot:
http://serenebreezes.com/Sophies-pictures/Sophie-51-cr-b.jpg

·
Registered
375 Posts
One of the "perks" of having a nocturnal animal is that they are very sensitive to light, and some are more sensitive than others. If you're taking him outside during the day, he's tired! He's supposed to be sleeping, so of course he won't want to play. And some hedgehogs are more sensitive than others, so if you're getting him out in the evening and you have lights on, he's not going to want to explore -- he thinks it's still daytime, which means sleepytime.

I would caution against getting him out so much during the day. Half an hour or so in the late evening is sufficient, unless you're a night owl and can play with him during the night. But during the day, he needs to sleep, and getting him out too often during the daytime can upset his sleep cycles and potentially lead to a hibernation attempt. It's ok once in a while, but not every day, and not twice a day.

As far as toys, that can be normal too. Most hedgehogs don't play, as GoodandPlenty said. Some do, and that's awesome, but most don't. Your best bets for keeping him entertained are scraps of fleece so he can dig, or small squares of fleece that he can use like blankets, or maybe tunnels to run through. But he doesn't "need" any of that. As long as he has a good wheel that he's using every day, you don't need to worry that he's bored.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been wondering this also. Penelope runs all night long, but stops as soon as we turn the light on. She's fine running with us in the room as long as it's relatively dark. I know that she needs out of cage time every night, so I have a play pen, for her, but she tends to fall asleep in her pen instead of playing. I have a ball for her to run in, but she doesn't seem to know how to use it, so she naps in it instead. We only take her out at night so that she has plenty of time to sleep, but it seems that she gets bored without her wheel, so she just sleeps until we put her back in her cage.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Penny: sounds like you have a snuggly hedgehog who would rather curl up on your for a good snooze than go exploring. That's fine! Some owners of more adventurous hedgehogs who never stay still and dart off to sniff everything are probably jealous of your cuddles! ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah, Wonton doesn't like to play with her toys either. She enjoys digging around the most! I read from another thread that you can try hiding meal worms around the cage, so then hedgies can have fun being a scavenger for a while.

I also find that they have they tendency to hide whenever they see light. Wonton would literally freeze whenever I turn on the lights. I think it's their natural instinct that light = daytime, therefore, they should be sleeping. Haha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds a lot like Sophie. She has zero interest in toys. She never had interest in TP tubes. Nothing. Hedgehogs mostly do not 'play'. Sleeping is her favorite thing. She sleeps like 20 hours a day, and that is not an exaggeration.

If I tried to entertain her, she would probably get huffy. When she was a baby, I was able to watch her wheel a little bit - not much, no more than about a minute. My only wheeling pictures are from when she was like 8 - 11 weeks old. I am sometimes (rarely) allowed to listen to her wheel if I stay absolutely still in her pitch dark room.

Rare action shot:
http://serenebreezes.com/Sophies-pictures/Sophie-51-cr-b.jpg
You are right most of the hedgehog like to sleep a lot and this is their favorite hobby rather then playing alot.As you mentiond that your hedgehog have no interest in toys then i think you need to buy some other type of toys or try to play with your hedgehog by your hands.Let her free on the ground so that she could move across everywhere.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts