Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our baby about a week ago now, and it seems like she is super itchy and getting a bit grumpy. I haven't noticed a lot of quills falling out or any dry flakes yet, but she seems to be going through the early stages of quilling. I noticed that everyone is suggesting to use Aveeno Oatmeal bath to help make it easier and her less grumpy. I work at a holistic pet store, and we have a really nice oatmeal bath/shampoo that i would like to use, but considering i'm not an expert on hedgehogs, i thought i would run it past people who know. here is the ingredient listing:

Colloidal Oatmeal at 3.8%, Purified Deoionized Soft Water, Green Tea Extract, Sodium Myreth Sulfate, Camphor Crystols, menthol Crystals, Aloe Vera, American Cranes Bill, Chickweed, Comfrey, Elder Flower Berries, Goldenseal, Horse Tail, Irish Moss, Marigold Flower, Marsh Mallow Root, Slippery Elm, Witch Hazel, Garlic, Woodwort, and Thyme.

It's supposed to be especially soothing for itchy, dry, uncomfortable skin, and it doesn't contain tea tree oil. If it seems to shaky to use, i'll break down and use aveeno.
We have never given her a bath before either, any good suggestions?

·
Registered
119 Posts
ryanwkrater said:
We just got our baby about a week ago now, and it seems like she is super itchy and getting a bit grumpy. I haven't noticed a lot of quills falling out or any dry flakes yet, but she seems to be going through the early stages of quilling. I noticed that everyone is suggesting to use Aveeno Oatmeal bath to help make it easier and her less grumpy. I work at a holistic pet store, and we have a really nice oatmeal bath/shampoo that i would like to use, but considering i'm not an expert on hedgehogs, i thought i would run it past people who know. here is the ingredient listing:

Colloidal Oatmeal at 3.8%, Purified Deoionized Soft Water, Green Tea Extract, Sodium Myreth Sulfate, Camphor Crystols, menthol Crystals, Aloe Vera, American Cranes Bill, Chickweed, Comfrey, Elder Flower Berries, Goldenseal, Horse Tail, Irish Moss, Marigold Flower, Marsh Mallow Root, Slippery Elm, Witch Hazel, Garlic, Woodwort, and Thyme.

It's supposed to be especially soothing for itchy, dry, uncomfortable skin, and it doesn't contain tea tree oil. If it seems to shaky to use, i'll break down and use aveeno.
We have never given her a bath before either, any good suggestions?
I don't know if any of those are bad for hedgies, but most everyone on here use Aveeno oatmeal body wash.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Knockoff brands of Aveeno with Colloidal Oatmeal works too.
And plain old oatmeal works as well. Put plain oatmeal in a stocking sock of sorts, wallow it in the water to make it cloudy.

There are 2 things I'd worry about with pet shampoos...
1) they are usually scented. And with overly sensitive hedgie noses literally right AT the bubbles, the smell can be overwhelming.
2) shampoo will always be a shampoo, so you should always follow with some sort of oil(vit e, or flax) as a final rinse, as otherwise the shampoo will wash away too much of their natural oils.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts