Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really do not know what to do. I went into our spare room to change her water and make sure she has plenty of food. and one of the babies was in the corner and looked a little closer at it and it was very bloody, so i picked it up and got it out of the cage asap. and when i looked at it half its head was eaten :(

this really upsets me, Its her first litter, was not a planned pregnancy if youve read my previous posts, the baby was still trying to move around. I called my vet on his after hours number and I emailed him a picture to see if it was as bad as I thought, and about 20 min later the baby was no longer with us.

I have left Amy and the babies be since they were born, except to make sure there is food and water. they will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. all there eyes are open, when will I be able to sseperate them from Amy so this dosent happen again?

thanks for any advice.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Unfortunately things like this do happen. Sometimes mom just feels overwhelmed or she may have thought something was wrong with the baby. There is nothing you can do to prevent it from happening again, and the babies can't be seperated till they are about 6 weeks old. I know how hard it can be but you have to let her do what she thinks is best. Just keep caring for her and the others as you have been. Sorry...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts