Hedgehog Central banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
My hedgehog is called Hoggle
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Its very possible. You said you tried a different detergent already. One other thing you could try is to try double rinsing them or run them through a wash with no soap to remove additional residue.

One other item of thought, does she liner dive? Does she ever go under and sleep on the bottom of her enclosure?
YES! All the time.... I put down the puppy pads as her toilet and when I wake in the morning she's asleep under them and no matter how many times I move her gently to her bed, every morning, it's the same thing, she's back asleep under the puppy pad instead of her bed

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
I was wondering if she gets hot against the pan of her enclosure or if she has a bad habit of sleeping where she urinates and the redness is a reaction to that. I've had a few who were nearly impossible to break of liner diving.

I had one once who would get a really sweaty tummy when she would liner dive. Breaking her of that habit required making liners that were extra large and could be secured to the side of the cage so that she couldn't go under at all. My cage has a metal pan that sits inside the cage (removable). I made her liners so that they could be smashed between the cage wall & the pan.

One of my current boys was also like that. I found out he doesn't like certain types of fabric. If I use two sets of liners and both sides that touch each other have to be flannel, he will liner dive between them and sleep there. If I use corduroy or fleece, he goes down to the pan. He will usually sleep in a snuggle bag instead of inside any other bed (igloo, cuddle cup, etc) if I put him there. So you may want to try different types of beds to see if she will use that instead.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I was wondering if she gets hot against the pan of her enclosure or if she has a bad habit of sleeping where she urinates and the redness is a reaction to that. I've had a few who were nearly impossible to break of liner diving.

I had one once who would get a really sweaty tummy when she would liner dive. Breaking her of that habit required making liners that were extra large and could be secured to the side of the cage so that she couldn't go under at all. My cage has a metal pan that sits inside the cage (removable). I made her liners so that they could be smashed between the cage wall & the pan.

One of my current boys was also like that. I found out he doesn't like certain types of fabric. If I use two sets of liners and both sides that touch each other have to be flannel, he will liner dive between them and sleep there. If I use corduroy or fleece, he goes down to the pan. He will usually sleep in a snuggle bag instead of inside any other bed (igloo, cuddle cup, etc) if I put him there. So you may want to try different types of beds to see if she will use that instead.
I did try taping the toilet pad once before but when I woke in the morning she was out in the open on top of the pad asleep and when I lifted her, she was so cold. I've just taped it again to try stop her going under it in case that's what's irritating her skin

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did try taping the toilet pad once before but when I woke in the morning she was out in the open on top of the pad asleep and when I lifted her, she was so cold. I've just taped it again to try stop her going under it in case that's what's irritating her skin
If you put a fleece blanket in her igloo or hide, do you think that would help with her hiding under her pee pad?

After I tape down her fleece flooring and her pee pads, I put a self heating mat under her igloo and put her blanket-stuffed igloo on top of the self heating mat. That's how I finally got her to stop liner diving and to sleep in one area. Whenever I check on her, I'll take her out and shake out any loose quills or food out her blanket, and stuff it back into her igloo.

Also, you can get a self heating mat on Amazon. They're really cool and my hedgie loves hers. It's a soft fleece mat that uses your hedgie's own body heat to keep her warm. I mainly use the smaller one that comes in the set. They're machine washable too. 😁

Product Sleeve Collar Font T-shirt

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you put a fleece blanket in her igloo or hide, do you think that would help with her hiding under her pee pad?

After I tape down her fleece flooring and her pee pads, I put a self heating mat under her igloo and put her blanket-stuffed igloo on top of the self heating mat. That's how I finally got her to stop liner diving and to sleep in one area. Whenever I check on her, I'll take her out and shake out any loose quills or food out her blanket, and stuff it back into her igloo.

Also, you can get a self heating mat on Amazon. They're really cool and my hedgie loves hers. It's a soft fleece mat that uses your hedgie's own body heat to keep her warm. I mainly use the smaller one that comes in the set. They're machine washable too. 😁

View attachment 96195
Ok just bought one from amazon as you suggested, should arrive tomorrow. The issue with her sleeping under her toilet area as well is it is the opposite side of where the heat bulb is so worried she'd get too cold.

I bought several hides for her but she wouldn't use them, every time I put her in, she'd exit, I have bought her one of those snuggle pouches to try.

Thinking of cancelling the appointment with the money grabbing vet for Saturday as I know she won't do anything to help her, all they want is people's money.

I also not long ago applied some of the terramycin to her tummy so just monitoring her in case of reaction (she bit me 😖 doesn't like her tummy touched)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

View attachment 96195
My pretty girl 😍🥰

Domesticated hedgehog Hedgehog Virginia opossum Erinaceidae Carnivore

·
Registered
16 Posts
Apologies if this is a silly question but can hedgies have allergic reactions to laundry detergent?

My Hoggle has some redness irritation on her belly and sides, been to the vet several times about it and due to go back to vet end of this week.

She's had antibiotics and an anti-inflamitory but it's made no difference, her skin still very red so wondering if it's maybe something as simple as needing to switch my laundry detergent.

Any advice is appreciated
They are very sensitive about detergent used on there bedding. Change to sensitive skin detergent. And I recomand washing her with Aveeno creamy wash for babies. Has natural oatmeal and vitamin E. When I got her, Rosa was washed with Johnson' s baby wash and shampoo and she was scracing. I change and her skin is beautiful. I fo not find spikes neither in her cage. I suspected mites too. So happy I change her shampoo. Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

View attachment 96195
Woke this morning to find she STILL somehow managed to get underneath the taped pee pad 🙄😏 but there was also a bit of pee on top and a small bit of poop on her wheel so looks like she was on her wheel (yay)(first time on wheel in over a week) so maybe it was allergic reaction to my washing powder after all? 🤔

She has had 2 doses of terramycin on her tummy and no adverse reaction 😁😀

·
Registered
65 Posts
Woke this morning to find she STILL somehow managed to get underneath the taped pee pad 🙄😏 but there was also a bit of pee on top and a small bit of poop on her wheel so looks like she was on her wheel (yay)(first time on wheel in over a week) so maybe it was allergic reaction to my washing powder after all? 🤔

She has had 2 doses of terramycin on her tummy and no adverse reaction 😁😀
It just dawned on me that you should probably get a pet camera so you can know/see exactly what she does at night. Getting a camera was a game changer for me. That's how I knew something was wrong with hedgie last week. I watched the footage and saw that she had been scratching non stop at night. I got my Wyze camera on Amazon for like $30 and it was really easy to set up. Aside from being to see if something is wrong with my hedgie, the footage is hilarious 😂 It's so funny to see the random, silly stuff she does at night. When I speed the footage up, it reminds me of a Benny Hill sketch lmao.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts