Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!
I don't post often, but I've been around for quite awhile. I have Turbo, an adult male hedgie, who I've had since last july. Both Turbo and myself have been under a lot of stress for the last few months, I was in the hospital for awhile and we've done a lot of moving around, but we've been good and stable since mid-january, so I doubt this could be stress related.

My main point is that I've noticed after I handle him a lot that for awhile afterwards (an hour sometimes?) my hands are really itchy and I sometimes have bumps resembling bugbites. I naturally have REALLY sensitive skin, so I'm not entirely surprised, but does anyone else seem to have a reaction to being pricked? I always wash my hands before and after handling him, and that doesn't seem to help. He never bites me or does anything mean, it just seems like I develop some sort of mild reaction whenever I come into contact with quills (only when he huffs up while in my hand, when his quills are laying flat they're perfectly fine). Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone have any suggestions?

On an unrelated side note- I've noticed lately that his poo has been softer than usual, not diarrhea, but just softer than usual. Any suggestions for that?

·
Registered
581 Posts
have you tried giving him a bath? dora was leaving both of us with red hands, then i gave her a bath and it stopped instantly....not saying he is filthy or anything, but he could have annointed with something you are allergic to or something of the like.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I give him foot baths every other day or so, and a full-out bath every week or two at the very most. I don't think that lack of bathing would be an issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a similar reaction when I handle hedgehogs. For me it seems worse when I haven't handled them in a while. Also, it might be my imagination, but I've found that when I wash my hands after handling, the itchiness is soothed by really cold water and made worse by warm or hot water. Best of luck with Turbo. Adam

·
Registered
475 Posts
The reaction "typically" comes from the "annointing" that is splat over their backs. When my hands start to bother me, I know it's bath time. However, I have also noticed that people that are not used to handling hedgehog, will tend to have a slight reaction whether the hedgie had a bath or not. Thus, I'm not sure if there is proof that you eventually build up an immunity to them with constant handling...or not. When I first started with hedgies, my hands did itch or sting quite a bit. But now, I rarely have any problems with it. Hope that helps!

Pix

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
What bedding is he on? If shavings or carefresh, try switching to liners. Often it is the bedding that causes the reaction as it gets poked into the skin by his quills.

Bathing more often sometimes helps but it can also make it worse if you use a shampoo. It's best to bath with plain water.

I have a few that give me a reaction and it doesn't matter if they are clean or dirty. I keep a container of baby wipes handy and wipe my hands and skin often while handling those ones.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, this is odd. Everything you guys are telling me I'm already doing. I've done bathtime with and without soap, he doesnt annoint very often, he's already on liners, I've had him for 8 months so it's not a newness thing or lack-of-handling thing. Strange.

Thanks anyway for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts