Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little dude passed away this afternoon after a long fight with a tumor in his liver that was inoperable. Even when I held him earlier in the day sensing the end was near, he still had life and movement.

Ali was the best hog I ever could've asked for. We had the same birthday, litter trained, loved to dust bathe and keep himself clean, and an incredibly adventurous spirit. I had him from hoglet til the end, and he was spoiled every day.

I plan to honor him and our shared African ancestry by making him a small Egyptian Sarcophagus and giving him a desert burial surrounded by all of his favorite treats and toys.

Farewell, my little dude! You were the best and I'm glad I got to be your human.
Orange Whiskers Feather Natural material Felidae
Hedgehog Erinaceidae Domesticated hedgehog Eyelash Whiskers

Plant Wood Grass Flooring Agriculture

Organism Felidae Domesticated hedgehog Whiskers Comfort

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
It's tough to eat anything today. I keep seeing his face and looking over at his little room. I had to go and sit in front of his cage for a while. He brought such light to my world. Mourning the loss of a family member is tough. I'll get through it...eventually, but it doesn't make it any easier that's for sure.

Even thinking about freeze drying him so I miss him a little less but it seems really costly and I'm not sure. Just want to honor him the best way I can and not lose him completely.

One thing I can say, is that if your hog is nearing the end of its life or not take video to replay to yourself to help the grieving process later. I'm so glad I have videos to watch to comfort me when I miss him too much. It'll help and you won't regret it.

Registered
I am so very sorry for your feelings of loss as your little boy moves on to his final home. How bonded the two of you are. How caring you are as you make sure that he has all the things he loves with him as you settle his precious little body in for his last rest. Thank you for sharing his photos. He really is such a handsome boy and such a handsome angel he will be.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am so very sorry for your feelings of loss as your little boy moves on to his final home. How bonded the two of you are. How caring you are as you make sure that he has all the things he loves with him as you settle his precious little body in for his last rest. Thank you for sharing his photos. He really is such a handsome boy and such a handsome angel he will be.
Thank you! 馃檶馃従 I ended up deciding to have him freeze dried so I still get to see his face for a while.

If anyone else is considering doing the same thing, it might be a good option if you're having a lot of trouble saying goodbye. The person I found does hedgehogs frequently it sounds like and quoted me a good price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts