Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've had Higgins Hildebrandt for a year now. He's been a real joy to be around; a bit huffy, but nothing out of the ordinary. He's pretty relaxed now and enjoys hanging out, cuddling & watching tv with us. He's such a joy that he made us wanto to get another one. And so, we got "sweet" baby Turnip Huffington. Oooooh man, what a ball of hissy mayhem. He's getting better, and, yes, I understand that he's just got to get used to us. And yes, he's showing miles of improvement. But last night, after a couple of weeks of controlled meetings between Higs & Turnip, we decided to put the two together on the couch. Wow! wee-wee Turnip instantly charged at poor ol' Higs (3 times his size) knocking him back on his behind & he balled. Turnip begin hissing and making machine gun sounds. Crazy. Had to separate them instantly. Oh well. Brothers...what can I say. Any advice?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Oh well. Brothers...what can I say. Any advice?
Don't put them near eachother. ;) Hedgehogs are solitary, and males are very territorial. They will harm and potentially kill each other fighting.

·
Administrator
3,641 Posts
My advice is the same as above. It is unrecommended to have male hedgehogs together. Even if they seemed to be getting along they can turn suddenly on each other. I have seen people who stated they have male hedgehogs happily living together post that they turned on each other during the night. The end result was either badly maimed or dead hedgehogs (in one case one hedgehog was disemboweled).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. Kinda' got that impression. They do have their own cages, thank God. I just couldn't believe how aggressive the baby was. Anyway, both are doing fine and watched the hockey game on opposite sides of the couch.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm glad they didn't get hurt and it was Turnip charging Higs instead. If it was the other way around, :( . And I love their full names, very creative and cute :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts