Hedgehog Central banner

How should we refer to our little quilly buddies?

• African Pygmy Hedgehog / APH

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pet African Hedgehog

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through a number of sites, posts within discussion boards, books, and articles in scientific journals that talk about the "African Pygmy Hedgehog."
I've also read opinions that "pygmy" should not be part of their name.
What do you think and why?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I HATE it when people say African "Pygmy" hedgehog. Hate it hate it hate it. They are not pygmy and that is not the correct term.

I chose pet african hedgehog, though just african hedgehog is correct. It's more specific to say pet though to imply the ones we have captive bred here, versus the wild african hedgies.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
When I first got hedgehogs APH was a very commonly used term and depending on what sites you go to or people you talk to it is still used but certainly not like it used to be. I don't use it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've been thinking a lot about this because I wonder if it may be a regional thing as far as what terms are used. I watch (A LOT) of animals shows and they continually explain how different regions of the world have different names for animals, which makes a ton of sense. I will usually explain to people that she's a hedgehog originating from Africa and that she's smaller than the variety found in Europe, hence the pygmy part of the name. Most people here in the States have never seen a hedgie anyway, so they have a lot of questions! lol

A few quotes:
"The most common species of domesticated hedgehog is the African Pygmy hedgehog, a hybrid of the White-bellied or Four-toed Hedgehog (Atelerix albiventris) and the Algerian Hedgehog (A. algirus). It is smaller than the European Hedgehog, and thus is sometimes called African Pygmy Hedgehog. Other species kept as pets are the Egyptian long-eared hedgehog (Hemiechinus auritus auritus) and the Indian long-eared hedgehog (Hemiechinus collaris)."
-Wikipedia

"1. The word "hedgehog" or "African pygmy hedgehog" in this registry shall be understood as referring to any domestic hedgehog of the species atelerix albiventris or atelerix algirus, or a hybrid of the two species, regardless of age, gender, or any other condition or feature. Other species may be registered, but this difference should be noted on the application so that we can track this trend. At present, no other species is known to be domesticated in significant numbers. "
-International Hedgehog Registry (IHR)

I've always been told it was an African Pygmy Hedgehog and I think the "pygmy" aspect might just be a nickname that sort of stuck with the species from what I've read-right or wrong.
I just call mine "CUTE"~ can't go wrong with that! ;) :lol:

Oh on a side note. Last night was a show about weird creatures- I love each and every one!
Well, they showed this little guy from Australia, an echidna!~ love it :)
I told Miss Muffet to hurry up and look because her cousin was on tv!!! :lol:

http://images.google.com/images?source= ... a=N&tab=wi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts