Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I’m a new hedgehog owner. I got my hedgie last Saturday, she’s been pretty nice, at first a bit mistrustful and then she grew to trust me more. But since yesterday she’s being like really grumpy, if I try to cuddle her, she tries to get away from me; if I try to keep her, she pees and poops on me or wherever she is . If she stays she hiss or jumps at me. This is a behavior she wasn’t having, we used to cuddle for a long time. What should I do? Is this normal?

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly with me but huffy with others.
2,011 Posts
How old is she? Is it possible she is quilling?

When they go through quilling it can change their behaviour and make them a bit more grumpy and want to be handled less.

As for peeing and pooing thats likely happening because she is waking up, have a litter tray near you so you can pop her in it if she starts to wake up.

Try with her in a blanket on your chest or lap, talk a little to her but avoid touching her quills as they are more sensitive, this might help you with her relaxing a bit more, and being less grouchy.

Also make sure your scent is in the enclosure all the time, change it weekly she is still completely new she is still getting used to you.
Sometimes while they are still settling they can change their moods from loving and cuddles to a right grouchy little one so, you may think they are settled and comfy with you but really they are still getting there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is she? Is it possible she is quilling?

When they go through quilling it can change their behaviour and make them a bit more grumpy and want to be handled less.

As for peeing and pooing thats likely happening because she is waking up, have a litter tray near you so you can pop her in it if she starts to wake up.

Try with her in a blanket on your chest or lap, talk a little to her but avoid touching her quills as they are more sensitive, this might help you with her relaxing a bit more, and being less grouchy.

Also make sure your scent is in the enclosure all the time, change it weekly she is still completely new she is still getting used to you.
Sometimes while they are still settling they can change their moods from loving and cuddles to a right grouchy little one so, you may think they are settled and comfy with you but really they are still getting there.
Okay thank you for your response, she’s two months old, but I don’t think she’s quilling, cause I haven’t seen any loose quills around to be honest.

I have already given her a t shirt with my scent, is she can get used to it, and she was responding really well, to the point that she even allowed me to rub her belly. But yesterday, it was like everything changed cause she was really grumpy, trying to get away or jumping and hissing when I try to pet her. But I don’t discard, as you said, that it might be a mood change for now. Let’s hope this goes away soon.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly with me but huffy with others.
2,011 Posts
They tend to start quilling around 2 months for a month or so.
Holly got more senstive about her quills being touched a bit before she actually got any quill loss. So it is very possible its to do with quilling just right at the start as the body gets ready.

There isnt really much you can do help, I used this spray (link is uk amazon so you will need to see if you can get it or similar where you are) which really helped with it not being as uncomfortable for her. I would spray it on while she has quills up/balled up so it gets to the skin rather than sitting on the quills, then use a dry tooth brush I use for washing to brush it around to it gets good coverage not just a fewa spots that I sprayed

Keep an eye for the quills coming out and new ones growing in, it will start soon!

Even if she is quilling, it is still very possible that she just had a mood change ajd will go back to how she was before.

When she does get huffy days try letting her just walk around the sofa or where you are sitting with a litter tray around and lwt her do what she wants and just talk to her a bit, your still bonding with her that way but its in her way as well as yours, that will still make a great strong bond. She may even just come back and cuddle u anyway! Holly was a little like that when she first settling in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts