Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog just had babies today, they're about 3 hours old but I have no breeding experience. I did peek at the babies about two hours after i heard the first chirps, and there were six of them, all moving around and most suckling. My hedgie usually sleeps underneath a small blanket, and she had her babies under it, is it safe to keep them covered with the blanket? If not, should I move it off of them? There's a hut inside of her cage as well, and I haven't heard any noise other than occasional chirps.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,122 Posts
You shouldnt disturb them for 2 weeks, from when they are born.

Add like loose paper bedding like carefresh or kaytee clean and cosy, or anything similar to that.
Put some just randomly and some in the hut., the mum might move them herself.

Dont clean the cage either, just add fresh food and water and leave hogs alone.

I am NOT experienced! I am just going off what I have read

Might be worth looking under the breeding and babies for the emergency baby thread for information

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You shouldnt disturb them for 2 weeks, from when they are born.

Add like loose paper bedding like carefresh or kaytee clean and cosy, or anything similar to that.
Put some just randomly and some in the hut., the mum might move them herself.

Dont clean the cage either, just add fresh food and water and leave hogs alone.

I am NOT experienced! I am just going off what I have read

Might be worth looking under the breeding and babies for the emergency baby thread for information
Ive been looking around the website for more information, and havent taken any more looks in the cage since i did the first time. Mama hedgie was very laid back and didnt hiss when she saw me, just looked up, which Im hoping is a good sign. Ive heard some loud squeaks from the babies last night but otherwise it has been fairly quiet in the cage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts