Hedgehog Central banner

Adopting the old or Adopting a baby?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Nancy 
#1 ·
Hi!

I am a new member to the forum but have been reading it for quite some time for tips on preparing for the new addition to my family and what to expect.

I am looking for opinions on adopting a baby vs. adopting an older hedgie. I have contacted breeders and have been placed on waiting lists but I am continuing to look elsewhere. I would like opinions on purchasing a hedgie from families who have discovered that they are not the pet for them from places like kijiji or craigslist (I would use kijiji as I am in Canada). Should I leave these hedgies to the rescuers or could I be their permanent forever home? I would like the opinions of the hedgie owners on this forum as from what I have read you are all so knowledgeable about everything hedgehogs! :)

Thank you all so very much!

#2 ·
In my opinion, the first time hedgie, should be a baby. It would be easier to pick up, littler train, and all that good stuff. It is hard to tell what is the personality of an older hedgehog, if it likes/or not being picked up. It is hard to tell if hedge is healthy, if at the time of adoption it sits curled up in a tight ball. You might just end up with a little "sea urchin" that will hiss and "pop" everytime you try to pick it up. You would need a lot more patience, lots more time to bond with an older one. Although some hedgehogs are more friendly than another ones, so you might just get lucky adopting one like that. It is your call, but I would say, get a baby :D

#3 ·
Baby or adult is an individual preference. One thing about an adult is you know what it's personality is. While most of the time, a friendly baby will be a friendly adult but not always. Sometimes quilling adversely changes their personalities and that friendly sweet baby can be a grumpy adult.

Being a breeder as well as a rescue, I see hedgehogs of all ages coming from all different circumstances. I've seen sweet, wonderful babies turn into unsocial do not touch me grumps with quilling. Our Daisy and Bandit and Popcorn are prime examples. We've had rescues and rehomes of all ages. Some are wonderful and friendly despite being bounced from home to home. Others have taken time to trust, and some never do.

With an adult, talk to the owners and find out what the personality of the hedgehog is. Hopefully they will be truthful but when you go to see it, a friendly hedgehog they will be able to easily handle.

#4 ·
Thank you for all of the thoughts. I have been replying to Ads on Kijiji but always mentioning that I would want to meet the hedgie before commiting to bringing him or her home and no one seems to reply after I mention this. Sigh, my search continues although I know some of you have waited over a year before you got yours so I am not complaining that much.

But I have another question.

How do people feel about shipping? For example Connie Crawford-Redman of Heavenly Hedgehogs located in Manitoba ships her babies across Canada. I feel that this could be cruel and frightning to the hedgies but if that were the case wouldn't breeders be against it? I am really trying to find a baby that is local so I could drive (even if it is 4 hours away) to get him/her. I am not keen on shipping not because of the cost but because I am wondering if it could be a frightning experience for the baby. What do others think? I will take any opinions.

#5 ·
thelostsock said:
Thank you for all of the thoughts. I have been replying to Ads on Kijiji but always mentioning that I would want to meet the hedgie before commiting to bringing him or her home and no one seems to reply after I mention this. Sigh, my search continues although I know some of you have waited over a year before you got yours so I am not complaining that much.
Well I guess then those people are just in it for money. If I would have to part with Litchi, I would be more than glad that the prospect owner wants to meet her before. I think it's just basic.

#6 ·
Some breeders ship and depending on the airline and location of breeder and new owner, it can be a pretty simple procedure. It also depends on the time of year.

I don't ship because I like to meet the new owner and talk with them about hedgehog care, show them how to handle the baby and talk about his or her personality etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.