Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just adopted a hedge hog a few days ago from a home that I could tell was probably not even heated to 68 degrees. My hedgehog did not come with any heating accessories. I just keep his cage elevated in the spare bedroom with the thermostat at 73-74 degrees.

I just wanted to know could the extra heat shock his system since the previous owner did not properly heat the hedgehogs home? When should I add temperature? Should I just automatically make the room 78 degrees?

He is a year old and seems to be well, his nails have been properly trimmed, he has been bathed on a regular basis, and has a quality cat food and enjoys mealworms. I am just concerned about how to keep him heated properly. I am afraid of adding too much heat and too little, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If he has never had an alternate heat source, he may be one of those hedgehogs that is fine at lower temperatures. I wouldn't raise the temperature anymore than you already have it and keep watch on how he is. Check him in the mornings to make sure he hasn't gotten cool overnight. Chances are he will be fine. I've taken in numerous rescues that were fine at temperatures others would be hibernating at. It all depends on the individual hedgehog. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks! I figured he would be alright. I checked him this morning and he is a warm little hedgie. I just was not sure if I should up the temperature. Thanks again for the reply, now I won't worry so much!

·
Registered
666 Posts
yup my last hedgie came from the same sorta situation and hated for it to be above 70 which was perfectly fine with me, we got along great :D :lol: i always had an alternative heat source on hand just in case though and there were a couple times during the winter when i did have to turn it on so you might still keep a close eye on him through the winter time especially.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts