Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well heres the deal,...I got another hedgie today.He's 3 months old, 100% friendly and of course adorable but, he's had a rough life already.He has several scabs,and is missing a toe because some more aggresive hedgies got ahold of him. Let me say I chose to take him over healthy others because I know I have the money, and time to commit to nursing him. The breeder showed me the receipts from the vet and the antiobiotics bottle but,she didn't really know what future treatments/or problems may occur. What should I expect? He seems fine and not in pain. one of the scabs has already fallen off and the skin seems healthy underneath(bald though :)) Can I expect him to be ok? I can't get him to a vet until the 24th :( Any and all advice appreciated! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Unless the injuries were serious enough to cause internal damage I don't see how it can be a long term problem. As for the baldness after the scab fell off if may be because it is scar tissue and no hair/quills will ever grow there or it might just take some more time.

I would expect some emotional trauma though. He may be afraid of other hedgehogs and may be timid in general.

I know that when other animals like dog's and cats go through a trauma the effects stay. They seem to experience something similar to our post traumatic stress. For instance a rescue dog that I had was terrified of tall bearded men. Due to a reaction to some sort of mistreatment in her past. I had her for close to 15 years and she never got over that fear.

I think it's commendable of you to take on this commitment. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! There was no mention of internal so I'm assuming just surface injuries except the missing toe. I'm expecting emotional trauma but so far so good! I'm looking forward to nurturing him. I'm hoping the extra nurturing require will mean he's just that much more bonded with me later :) And as far as scarring as bald patches go...Just part of the cute package.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts