Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!Excuse me for my grammar. English isn't my first language but i hope you understand. So my relative suddenly gave us a hedgehog to adopt cause he said he couldn't afford taking care of them. He also didn't told us that the female was pregnant. I haven't handle a pregnant hedgehog. So I don't really have a clue on what should I do. I hope you can give me some tips on how to take care of her like diet and nutrition. Some the do's and don't's while having a pregnant hedgehog. Also how to take care of them after giving birth and how to take care of hoglets. When should I separate them from the mom. How to handle hoglets? Thank you for giving us your time and attention. I appreciate it so much.

Sorry if my question are confusing. I'm a bit on a panic mode. I really hope the babies can survive.

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
604 Posts
No worries!
Make sure mom hedgehog hash high protein cat food or good hedgehog food and lots of nesting materials. Make sure she has adequate heat to stay warm. After she gives birth, make sure to keep food and water close by so she doesn't have to leave her babies for a long time. Try fleece strips instead of wood chip bedding so they don't irritate the babies. Do not touch the babies and try not to disturb them unless you are worried for their safety or the mom's. You can quickly lift up a blanket (if they are burrowed under one) to check on them if you need to. If they are getting eaten or mom is neglecting them, you can take care of them, but that is the last resort.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts