Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to be a first-time hedgehog owner and i'm currently in the process of researching where I should get a hedgehog in my area. There are various breeders, as well as an informal organization that re-homes rescued hedgehogs.

After doing a lot of research about preparing for a new hedgehog, I feel like there is some conflicting advice about whether one should rescue or get a baby.

I've heard that if you get a baby you never know what their personality will end up like, and you may get an un-social hedgehog. Under this philosophy(for lack of better word, since domestic hedgehog behaviour has not been studied scientifically to the extent that other domestic animals have) it sounds as though hedgehogs are not like dogs, for example, and that you can't completely socialize them and make them more accepting of humans and other animals. Their personalities are unique, very from hedgehog to hedgehog, and are largely determined more by genetics (or epi-genetics) rather than socialization. Therefore, you only really get to see it's true personality several weeks after you bring it home. If this is true, then it seems like it might be wise to adopt an older rescued hedgehog so you can see if the "personality" and socialization experience is to your suiting.

However, if you believe that hedgehogs are socializable, then the best would be to get a baby so you can shape it from 8 weeks old.

I've also heard that rescues are not appropriate for first-time owners, but i'm not exactly sure why. Any insight into this comment?

I would especially like to hear from people who have owned more than one hedgehog in their lives, to find out if it is true in their experience that you can socialize a hedgehog? Or have you had multiple hedgehogs, raised similarly, who have had completely different personalities and abilities to be around people and other pets?

NB: I should note that I am in South Africa, so there is no formal organization which registers the breeders themselves. So there is no authority that can vouch for any breeder.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I only have one. But from posts I have read and comments form experienced owners and breeders, each hedgehog has its own personality and you don't get to figure it out until you spent a good amount of time with your hedgehog.

Rescued hedgehogs are not like dogs that appreciate the new opportunity but they are more hesitant and grumpy and some never come out of their ball when around the owner. Owners without experience usually don't have the patience it takes to try to re socialize one and get aggravated very easily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a first time hedgehog owner, and I rescued a neglected hedgie. I am definitely glad I went this route. She was VERY scared and grumpy and would not tolerate being held or even coming out of a ball when I was around! But it's been a few months now, and although she still hisses and puffs up, (I think that's normal for the majority of hedgehogs, whatever their personality) I can pick her up no problem! She will crawl around on me and nuzzle into my hand and arms, is very curious and sweet. I was even able to take her to my son's preschool class as show and tell, and she did great! The people I rescued her from thought she had no hope of ever being able to be held! I know babies will always find homes, but rescues really NEED a good home and someone who is dedicated to improving their quality of life. I wouldn't be opposed to getting a baby in the future, but I am very happy with my choice to rescue Gretel! She is absolute proof that hedgehogs can be socialized! It was a lot of work, but worth it! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts