Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you guys are probably getting sick of me, but i have another question and this website/forum is so helpful. I've grown not to trust the other websites haha

I will be getting my hedgehog (due to be picked up july 11th :D ) a mix of cat foods that are listed in this forum, but i was wondering if i can add other dry ingredients like seeds to that mix, obviously they would be all natural / organic

is there a list of anything like that on here that i just looked over

·
Registered
117 Posts
I could be wrong here,
but i'm sure all seeds present choking hazards to little hedgies...

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
No seeds, since they are choking hazards. There's not a lot that needs to be added directly to the mix, but one thing that many people add in is either Grape Nuts cereal or infant rice formula. Those are both added for extra fiber, since most cat foods don't have as much fiber as hedgies require. With Grape Nuts, you could probably mix it in directly with the cat food. I use the rice formula, and just sprinkle a small amount over Lily's food every other day. I tried the Grape Nuts cereal first, but she wouldn't eat any of it.
You can supplement the cat food mix with fruits, veggies, and baby foods, but those should go into their own "treat" bowl.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
If you are interested in a cat food with higher fiber, you can try Halo Spot's Stew Indoor Formula, it has 6.5% (vs 2-3% as most other cat foods have). However, it is higher in fat (20%), in a mix it should be fine, but if you get a hedgie that adds weight easily it might not be a good idea.

Just a thought. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts