Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Vera-Lee is a total explorer, the kind that totally ignores you unless you got a treat in your hand or she's in her cage and looking to get out (or smells me and thinks mealies). She has a 4x4 playpen she spends every night in which has an assortment of goodies, couple of boxes, a 4 inch vent tube to run through, paper towel roll (cut & trimmed), this 3 inch wide, 2 inch long piece of cardboard tube that came from her original home, couple of stuff animals and balls, and of course her Carolina Storm Wheel (and litter, food and water). She is what I call a lazy explorer, as most of the time she'd rather sleep than be out, this was an original problem I had posted about but despite her heating and lighting system, she obviously likes to sleep.

She could careless about the stuffed animals or balls, she doesn't really play with the vent tube except if she is exploring, she'll go through it (I've seen some that'll constantly use the tube), sometimes she likes to get under one of the boxes and pushes it around or flipped it over, and she doesn't really wheel, not for hours on end, more like 1 minute or less bursts and some nights, not at all.

So does anyone ever do anything special with their explorers, or should I just let her go at it, as she has been doing. She seems to get enough activity despite the sleeping, good figure, not too fat, not too slim. Poop and urine is good, though she at times poops out some small poops, and then usually a good giant sized one, not sure if its her diet or she needs a little unspiced pumpkin stuff. Other than that, she's a happy hog.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds a lot like my Pineapple:)
Have you tried hiding food all around her cage and in her tubes and under her stuffed animals?
I do that for Pineapple and it encourages her to roam around her cage and explore more. I've watched her spend a whole hour sniffing around and checking the normal hiding places again and again even after she already ate all the hidden treats up :D I guess she just never loses hope lol
Another thing I do is when I take her out I don't just give her her mealies.
I give them to her one by one and kinda hide them in my fist or under a leg or in my pocket and stuff and she goes nuts trying to find them. It's super cute when she pushes her nose in between my fingers and pushes them apart with her little paws to get to the mealie in my fist:D
Now she follows my hands around like a little puppy and I can get her to run around a little more just playing with her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts