Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Nala is just 2 months and 2 weeks right now and I've only had her for a week. She's pretty much grumpy most of the time while inside her bin during the day but when I take her outside to bond, she'd be running around and doesn't like being held and just likes to run. I usually just put her down because she'd try running away from my hands and I'm afraid of dropping her.

Here's the thing, her enclosure is a black storage bin that is around 9 or 10" high and likes to try to escape every after I bond with her. She doesn't usually do this during the day or before I take her out but frequently do so whenever I put her back. The problem is that recently, I've been noticing that she's like dragging her hind legs and falling on her right side after so many attempts of escaping. Due to fear of broken legs, I put her back outside and she'd be speeding off like nothing happened. I'm afraid she has WHS. The breeder whom I got her from said that her lineage is clean.

I'm using wood-based bedding/chips and it's roughly around a 80 or 85L bin. I don't have a wheel YET because it's too expensive here in the Philippines. I want to have her checked but I'm not sure if the vets around here accept hedgehogs.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Do you have a lid on the bin so she doesn't escape? WHS doesn't happen rapidly. It's vital for hedgehogs to have a wheel because they run for miles in the wilderness. I think it's best to have her checked out also. You should ask vets and find out whether anyone is specialized in exotic care ASAP.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a lid on the bin so she doesn't escape? WHS doesn't happen rapidly. It's vital for hedgehogs to have a wheel because they run for miles in the wilderness. I think it's best to have her checked out also. You should ask vets and find out whether anyone is specialized in exotic care ASAP.
I have a lid but I don't entirely close it, I just put it over the top sideways since I was scared she might suffocate of the bin might heat up. Do you think if I put the lid on, she'll stop doing it? I was just wondering if she's showing early signs of WHS. I'll consider buying one if I see a cheaper one, else, I'd just try DIY-ing it. Thanks! I'll start looking for a vet who'd accept her.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Cut a hole in the center of the lid and glue a mesh over it so she can breath and stops trying to escape.

She most likely tries to escape because she is bored.

Maken her a bucket wheel, it's cheap.

And you should never get a pet you can't afford.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cut a hole in the center of the lid and glue a mesh over it so she can breath and stops trying to escape.

She most likely tries to escape because she is bored.

Maken her a bucket wheel, it's cheap.

And you should never get a pet you can't afford.
I'm okay with spending for her but the thing is the shipping here doubles the expenses. Still trying to find out how to make the wheel but I will as soon as I figure out how. Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
If you can't make her a wheel right away you're going to need to order one no matter how much it costs. The cost will be less than if she hurts herself out of boredom and needs surgery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts