Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first post. My husband and I just got out first Hedgie and opted for a C&C cage with fleece liners. We got him on Saturday and the original plan was to just cut fleece and place it on the bottom of the cage. After doing some research and having some very stinky fleece after just a few days, I've decided that I'm going to do 2 layers of fleece with an absorbent layer in the middle.

The question I have is: What is the best idea for an absorbent layer? We plan to wash our liners rather than have them be virtually "disposable" so it needs to be a washable material that is safe for hedgies as well.

I was thinking of using terrycloth or using a large towel? I saw somewhere that cotton is the most absorbent? Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I did that. Immune are fleece on top and bottom and and a towel in the middle. All sew together. I'd recommend washing the fleece before cutting it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Personally, I also used two pieces of fleece with a large towel (from the dollar store) sewn inside.

I've heard that some people like using uhaul liners as well, too. They're supposed to be super absorbent and washable. Someone in a Facebook group I happen to lurk mentioned that they use microfibre cloths in between fleece layers. Lots of easy options :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Personally, I also used two pieces of fleece with a large towel (from the dollar store) sewn inside.

I've heard that some people like using uhaul liners as well, too. They're supposed to be super absorbent and washable. Someone in a Facebook group I happen to lurk mentioned that they use microfibre cloths in between fleece layers. Lots of easy options

I forgot that half of my liners have microfiber towels inside.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I used a Uhaul liner in the middle of my fleece layers, and with the layers sewn together (hidden seams as much as possible). I find the Uhaul liner is quite absorbent, and doesn't smell bad even after 4-5 days. I then toss the soiled liners in the wash with an non-scented, natural detergent. I love my liners!

P.S. The Uhaul liners are fairly cheap, like $7 or $8 bucks at the store and depending on your cage size, you can get up to two liners out of one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts