Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hedgehog is only about 8 weeks old now. I hold him all the time, usually in a towel now because he poops on me. Do they always do this or do they grow out of it?

I also used bedding but that is expensive so I decided to try to use a towel. Well....the cage obviously smells bad now but I see a lot of people do use them instead. Is there a way to keep them cleaner and a little less odorless?

I was thinking about putting his igloo in a little box filled with bedding since thats where he normally goes. Good idea?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Morel3etterness said:
My hedgehog is only about 8 weeks old now. I hold him all the time, usually in a towel now because he poops on me. Do they always do this or do they grow out of it?
Babies are poop machines, so there should be less poop in the future in general. But that alone, doesn't mean that he won't poop on you when older. Some things you can do to minimize getting pooped on are to wake your hedgie and give him a little time to do his business before getting him out of his house. You can also look for signs of imminent poop-age (ie, lifting his tail) and get him to his litter box when you see it happening. Best defense, though, is to have some hedgie-wipes nearby.

Morel3etterness said:
I also used bedding but that is expensive so I decided to try to use a towel. Well....the cage obviously smells bad now but I see a lot of people do use them instead. Is there a way to keep them cleaner and a little less odorless?
Towels can be dangerous because all of the little loops in which hedgie could get a toe/toenail stuck. Think about changing to fleece rather than a towel.
Create an area for hedgie to poop in regularly. Most choose their wheels. Just put a little litter in a tray below the wheel or use some wheel mats (smaller fleece pieces just below the wheel that you can change out every day) or papertowels.
You little guy should poop less as he grows older but you can start the good habits now :)

Morel3etterness said:
I was thinking about putting his igloo in a little box filled with bedding since thats where he normally goes. Good idea?
Oh... nice! He has a favorite spot to go :) That's great news. If he likes to use his igloo as a restroom, then you can put some litter in there (like CareFresh or Yesterday's News) or paper towels or anything that's hedgie-safe that you can take out and replace every day.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Thank you for the advice.

I have sadly thrown out several old shirts due to the little pooper. So I am trying to find new solutions. Hopefully the igloo litter box will work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts