Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been using blankets lately for my new hedgie and she seems to like it, the only problem is she'll move the blanket around and crawl UNDER it. I dont think this is too much of a problem but I'm just concerned that the bottom of the cage might be cold on her feet and belly. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well but I tried lol.

I tried putting a little blanket on top of the fleece bedding so that she could crawl under that one and still have bedding underneath her but she still insists on crawling under the fleece. I dont want to tape it down because I wouldnt feel comfortable with tape being in there but I'm not sure what to do. Should I just let it be?

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is a very common thing. Two of my herd insist on burrowing under all the fleece until they are resting the bottom of their house. Some people use velcro to keep the fleece down. I have just gotten used to this behavior and I let them do as they please.

What temp is your hedgie's cage/room at? If it is around 73-75*F, I would think you would be fine unless you have a draft coming in on the ground level.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I make sure it stays at 23 ish degrees celcius but her cage is on the floor for now so a draft is always possible

·
Registered
902 Posts
Could put a heating pad or electric blanket under half the cage for warmth from below.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dewey used to do that do. I taped down the corners and long sides and placed everything so that it would be harder for him to get under it. He hasn't made any attempts for the past few weeks. I had to though. He would pull it so that EVERYTHING would be off the liner, and make his cage impossible/annoying to clean.

It is safe to use tape, though, right?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Calvin does that. I just let him do it. When I'm cleaning the wheel I take him out, put him in a hedgie bag and in his cat carrier until I'm done. He would sneak out of his igloo before I was finished cleaning and I'd have to get him again.

Sometimes he'll stay in his bag awhile, get up to drink and then crawl under the liner. We think he might like the coolness of the plastic, b/c he doesn't seem to like it too warm. His previous owner didn't seem to have an igloo/bed for him so we figure he was used to sleeping on plastic and being cool.

I figure he's happy. My liners are thick (3 layers) so he's warm enough. Just silly.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sylvie did this initially too. I've since put heavy/large things in the corners of her cage to weight it down. Her cage also has a tray bottom, which the liner is slightly larger than so I tuck the overhand out & around the tray.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I taped it down last night so that she wouldnt go under it because I've temporarily switched her water into a bowl (but its a very light plastic bowl - I'm going out to buy a heavy one today) so I didnt want her to knock it over.. She still managed to get under that liner!!! The little bugger, shes determined thats for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts