Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first hedgie about 4 days ago,and last night while I was holding him I noticed some type of,almost scab like things at the base of a clump of his quills.I also found another two single quills on him,but the scab things were about halfway up. It didn`t seem to bother him much when I moved his quills around to get a better look at what it was.What could this be? Also,I`ve noticed his skin seems dry and flakey. I`ve read about giving your hedgie a oatmeal bath but just what is that? And how would I go about doing that,expecially with a hedgie that tightly balls up for the first 15 minutes after you`ve picked him up.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
For unsocial hedgehogs a bath is a really good time to bond. If the dry skin is as bad as you say then I would recommend an oatmeal bath like you said.

For my hedgie I give an oatmeal bath by filling his bath tub (a small rubbermade container, or you can use the sink) with water then putting dry oatmeal into an old sock (reserved for this purpose) and just sort of moving it around in the water and sqeezing it out so the water gets cloudy. If you don't have a sock then you can also use any piece of fabric that would basically strain the oatmeal. Make sure the water is not too cold or too hot, you want it nice and warm (like for giving a baby a bath).

After you have the water ready comes the tricky part, getting a hissing popping balled up hedgie into the water. I would probably wait for him to unball a bit then put him in back feet first. If he won't unball try and determine where the head is and duck his bum or his back in the water. This should make him unroll and you can put him in the water without dunking his head. My hedgie now unrolls at the sound of running water so if you have him with you while you fill the sink that may help. Just don't have the water running while he's in the sink because if he puts his head under it he could get an ear infection.

While he's in the water I would brush his quills with a toothbrush and rinse him as best as you can but do not use any soap (if he's already got dry skin then soap will make it worse).

After his bath wrap him in a dry towell and hold him until he drys off. After he's all dry and happy you can drip some flax seed oil on his back to help with the dry skin. (even if he balls up while you are doing this that's ok because it makes it easier to the oil right to the skin). You can get flax seed oil at any drug store and I would buy it in the gel pills, then you just poke the pill with a knife or pin to get the oil out. This way the oil will not go bad as quickly as it would if it were in liquid form. If you want you can also put a bit of oil on his food. But sometimes this causes runny BMs so just use a few drops and stop if he has a bad reaction.

I would do the bath once every week or two and the oil can be done nightly or every other night.

As for the scab you mentioned I'm not sure what that would be. It could just be some dirt or poop that got stuck to his quills and the bath will wash it away.

Also, so you know, really dry flaky skin can be associated with mites. If the bath and oil don't seem to help then I would go to the vet to get tested for mights. Whatever you do if the vet wants to treat for mites do not let them treat your hedgie with ivermectin Ivermectin has been known to kill hedgies. Tell them you want your hedgie treated with Revolution.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Do the scabs look old? He may have had a skin infection and the scabs are left over after it healed. Staph happens sometimes with babies. I would give him a bath with either Aveeno Oatmeal body wash unscented, or oatmeal. I wouldn't use oil on him just yet though. If he did have some sort of a skin infection, oil can seal bacteria into the pores so I'd hold off on oil for a little while.

If he is really nervous and rolls into a ball, fill a bucket with nice comfortable warm water and put him in the sink with no water in it. Use a glass to pour the water over him. Try not to get it on his face or ears. As you are pouring, the water level will be slowly rising and he will come out of the ball. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
lots of hedgehogs like playing around in the water, and is a good time to bond with him, especially the snuggle time afterward when you dry him off.

Vex loves the sound of running water, and loves to go swimming. i put him on his platform and he dives right in an swims around like a fiend for about 20 minutes before getting bored and coming to my hand to get out. After the bath when he is being dried is the only time he really likes spending cuddle time, and after a good hour of rest, he just wants to explore his hedgie-proofed room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts