Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about a few new things... would it be safe and nutritious for little Crash to have: mushrooms, olives, fruit juice (assuming it's from fruits that are on the safe list), or kiwi?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Sorry, I'm not sure about mushrooms, olives, or kiwi. Fruit juice would probably okay if you were taking it directly from the fruits. Fruit juice bought in stores for human consumption would have lots of sugar, I would think, and wouldn't be good for him.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I don't eat kiwis so may be wrong here but don't they have little seeds in them? If so, I would be concerned about them

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The little seeds in kiwis should be fine, as they are REALLY small.

However, what I would worry about is sometimes they are a bit sour. You can get really sweet ones, but they're also a bit on a sour side.

Since no one really knows, you can try feeding a very small piece, and observe. But make sure you taste it first, to make sure it's sweet.

As Kelsey said, most store bought fruit juices have lots of sugar added. And don't forget preservatives as well. If you can find something that has no sugar, no preservatives, then it should be fine.

Not sure about mushrooms, especially since it's a fungus with spores, don't know how hedgies would react to eating them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Olives are a no-no. They are salty.

Of the other items, the only one I'd consider feeding is Kiwi. Mushrooms are nutritionally empty (1 cup will get you a trace of vitamin c and trace of iron but that's about it) and fruit juice is nothing but sugar water with a few vitamins. Diced fruits at least contain fiber, which hedgehogs need and which helps maintain a level blood sugar. Pure juice just spikes the BG because it digest too quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts