Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I got Penny about 3.5 months ago when she was 6 weeks old. She is a sweet and curious little girl.

1. Biting.
Penny is a sweetheart, but unfortunately she is a biter... she full on clamps down with a locked jaw if you get your hands too close to her mouth, but I am trying not to be discouraged. I have tried different methods of making her stop, including blowing gently in her face when she clamps on, but nothing seems to work. I have yet to try the rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip method. Can anyone give me advice on if the rubbing alcohol method actually works? And if so, how exactly do you do it? It seems like it would take a while to get the Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and dab it on her nose all while she is biting me.

2. Dry skin.
Penny's skin is extremely flaky. I believe this is because I have a space heater blowing into her cage to ensure that it stays around 78 degrees. I was thinking about buying a humidifier to counteract the dryness... any advice? I can occasionally hear Penny scratching herself in her igloo, and I really want to help her feel better.

3. Not running on her wheel at night.
This has only been an issue during the past couple of nights. I moved her into my bedroom because it is easier to heat during this cold weather, and the first few nights she was running like crazy. But the past few nights I haven't heard her running at night, and when I wake up in the morning her wheel is clean (normally it's covered in poop and pee hah). This morning when I was holding her I noticed that there was a tiny, tiny amount of dry crusted blood around one of her back nails, but I rinsed it off and I can't see any wounds or anything. I'm a little worried about why she's not running...

4. Question about nail clipping.
I am having a hard time differentiating what is underneath her nail and where I should be clipping to. I know her actual toe extends pretty far up under her nail, but when I clip her nails to the length of the toe, her nails still seem incredibly long. Is this normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Regarding my question about nail clipping... I guess I should have phrased the question differently.

What is the typical length of the quick underneath the biggest toes on a the back feet? On Penny's left foot, the quick is longer than on her right foot. I attempted to measure it and it's about 1/8 of an inch long. I realize this may be a difficult question to answer, but is this normal??

Ever since I received Penny I have been clipping her nails regularly, about every 2 weeks because her nails grow very quickly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts