Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been giving small bits of apples and bananas to little Crash as treats, but I feel like he should have more than just those two things so he doesn't get bored. I looked at the list of fruits and veggies, and didn't see blueberries or raspberries mentioned. Are they okay for a hedgie? I would really like to try blueberries with him, assuming they're alright, because he likes to eat little bits of food out of my hands, and they'd be the perfect size for that.
Also, I notice in the list that pineapple is bad. Why is that?
Finally, coconut was listed in the "not sure" part of the list. Has a verdict been reached since the list was created?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Pineapple is bad because of how citrusy it is. It can hurt even human mouths, much less little hedgie mouths. This the same reason oranges, tangerines, limes, and lemons are on the no list. No citrus for hedgies!
And I'm sorry, but I don't know about coconut.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Oh, I missed the part about raspberries and blueberries...I seem to remember reading someplace that both of those were safe, but i can't remember exactly...I'll let you know if I find the source. I know I've offered both to Lily before, but she didn't eat much of either of them. I only offered them twice so far, though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I read your reply, so I went to Crash and gave him a couple of blueberries. He loves them! He snatched the first one right out of my hand and ate half of it. He ran on his wheel for a few seconds, then came back to his blueberry and finished it. He repeated this same process with the second one.
I'm guessing he still likes his bananas better, because he gobbles them up immediately til they're gone.
Also, he doesn't much care for asparagus.

·
Registered
508 Posts
im pretty sure blueberries are okay as long as you take the skin off. (chokeing hazard)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts