Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a new 8 week old baby hedgehog. His quills go in a thousand different directions. Is this normal for babies? Breeder had a bunch of adults, this was last baby. All pictures I find show them lying flat and generally straight, just like the grown-ups.

When he rolls up, you can see his skin in different places - not large bald spots, just thin areas. I see some very short quills, so I assume that he is quilling.

Owen was fed Purina One Kitten Food. Should he graduate to adult food at a certain age?

·
Registered
414 Posts
What do you mean by "in a thousand different directions"? Do you mean that when he balls up his quills point every which way, or that they're falling out all over the place?
If you mean pointing in different directions, that's perfectly normal. Flat quills are when the hedgie is relaxed, which is what you were seeing in the pictures. When they're pointing out and the hedgie is balled up, it means the hedgie is in defensive mode.

That's a picture (sorry it's a bit fuzzy) of my hedgie with his quills partially up. They stick out all over the place to protect his body from predators. (Note: That's not a full ball, just an example of the quills sticking up.)

As for the food, I would recommend getting 2 or 3 foods from this list in the diet and nutrition board. http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15 All are good foods for hedgies. Foods for hedgies should have about 30% protein, 15% or less fat, and the main ingredients should be meat based (not corn or fillers).

Congratulations on the little guy. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the clarification. He looks just like the photo. We just have not seen him fully relaxed. He will unroll when being held, but is probably still defensive and unsure, even though he will explore and walk around.

The adults at the breeders were so docile and couldn't cared less about being handled. This little guy just needs some time.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
That's quite typical of a baby for the first couple days in a new home. As he gets comfortable, he will put the quills down. Seeing skin is normal too for babies as often they don't have as thick a quill coat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts