Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its been 3 weeks since I became the proud owner of oscar.
However, Oscar just doesnt seem to want to accept the fact that I'm his owner, he still huffs and puffs everytime I open his cage, even if I speak to him nicely for a litte bit before I open.
He started quilling a day or two after I purchased him (normal baby quilling) now, could this be part of his problem with me?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Taking a look at it from your new hedgie's perspective, there's a lot of new, potentially stressful, things going on in his life. First, he goes from everything he's ever known - being home with momma hedgie to a new place where there's no momma hedge, his schedule is different, the smells are different, the humans are different, his housing is different... and on top of all that, now his entire back is ouchy because there are sharp quills poking through everywhere! It's enough to make any hedge huffy.

I think if you hang in there, he'll eventually come around. Although I've heard some hedgies just don't take to human company, I'd guess given all the big changes in your little one's life, it's probably a matter of you being consistent with his care and him adapting to it. That may take several more weeks. In the meanwhile, you can help soothe his ouchiness from quilling with a nice oatmeal bath.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Everything smhufflepuff said. ;)

And you will have to accept the fact that you will NEVER be his owner, only eventually he will own you. :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh I am so glad to hear that someone else is having the exact same issues with their new hedgie as I am. Indy is just not warming up to me. Last night I thought we had a breakthrough. She was just fine when I went to pick her up, even acted like she was enjoying her time with me, and then tonight she was back to huffing, popping, and just being generally in a bad mood. My hedgie is also quilling. We are in the same boat. I have had Indy about the same amount of time that you have had your hedgie.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts