Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Begin Panicking Frantically

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post often but I'm a bit panicky right now.

So Events leading up to:

Power outage on tuesday, had to take her temporarily to my grandparents where it was warm enough for her still.

Came back later that night she didn't eat any food from what I could tell figured she might be stressed.

Wednesday-Still hasn't seemingly eaten her food not that unusual she's a light eater. Watching her Wheel run she stops and pauses frequently which attracts my attention, she looks like she's straining to poop or pee or something and continuing along on her trek every so often. She's largely unsuccessful. her cage has been unusually clean for the day. Looking around there are only 2-3 tiny little hedgie poops. Switch her food out for fresher food she sniffs it drinks water and continues her awkward strained wheel run.

Thursday morning (today)- No food was eaten last night or not a subtantial amount. I called the vet they mentioned GI Stasis scaring the literal **** out of me. I miss work to take her in to the vet and get her checked out. They run the fecal matter tests on the still only 3 poops she's had, try to get her to eat some cat food instead of spikes ultra unsuccessfully.

Verdict from the Vet:
After examining her as best they could they don't think it's a blockage. But she does, according to an xray, seem to have a small believably benign gas build up in her right now which they say could explain the not eating. No parasites were found in any of the tests.

Next Steps: They want me to force feed her 10mls of cat food as suspended in water QID for now in addition to 0.07mls of an anti-biotic BID and a pea sized amount of probiotic in with the food. The gas could be stressed caused or happenstance there's no clear reason.

My concern:
I don't want to stress her out more by jamming a syringe down her mouth. My little Yumei is a very squirmy little girl and she's a handful to restrain I'm afraid I'm gonna hurt her or she's not going to get enough of the food to avoid a problem. I've called the vet back to discuss this with them as well as try to find a stable consistent amount of water to use to suspend the cat food in but haven't heard back yet. Additionally we've left the normal spikes ultra food out and threw in some meal worms and some banana slices for her (these are treats).

What's everyone else's thoughts? Should be really concerned or does this sound like normal hiccup? Because honestly right now i'm a bit freaked out and concerned that she's gonna shut down from a lack of food or a heart attack :/ What more can I do to make sure she's ok.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As an update from the vet I am to disregard the instructions to use water to create a suspension for her. Just straight syringe feeding there.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
You need to get food into her. Fatty Liver disease can set in in just a few days of not eating or not eating enough. Follow the vet's instructions and syringe feed her every few hours. You need to get about 24mls of food in her daily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was not aware of this Fatty Liver Disease can you explain it?

Also my plan was every 2.5 hours I'll be giving her 10ml each time until later tonight when/if i sleep. I probably should since I"m a Ptech but It's been a while since i've pulled an all nighter and this seems as good a reason to as any. Also going to make some hard boiled eggs for us and try with the live meal worms too possibly.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Fatty Liver disease occurs when hedgehogs don't eat for a few days and the body starts breaking down fat for energy. If they are breaking down the fat to quickly then the liver is unable to process the by products and becomes damaged.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I checked on her tonight before attempting to sleep I found she has spit up a good deal of it. I don't understand why she won't eat and why this is happening. What do I do now?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More than likely but not today unfortunately. She is pooping again but she hasn't touched her regular food. I called up Parkway (her vet) to ask them about the spitting up or vommitting to see what they say when i woke up today but I haven't heard from them yet so i'm going to continue the regimen as best I can. Honestly i'm not sure if she just pretended to eat it and decided to spit it out, though id din't think she was clever enough for that, or if she actually vomitted it up because it was still pretty paste like. She doesn't eat as much as other hedgies seem to in general which I tried telling the vet but it seemed to fall on deaf ears and honestly this seems like a lot of paste to shovel into her :/ But i'm not as veteran hedgehogger as nikki seems to be and i'm definately not a vet so what do I know really about their needs with this stuff :/

As I said though she is pooping. It's diarrhea like but some poop i would think is better than no poop. She still hasn't touched her meal worms or her normal food though, or the banana or the egg v.v this is really stressful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the day I was going to ake her to the vets for a second opinion she started eating solid food again, so i've been progressively giving her less of the syringes.

Mostly it's just her kibble and some of the meal worm I got her. But her poop is still rather infrequent and she's not up to her full appetite yet still.

I checked with the vet and they said it should be fine for the most part now if I stop the syringes but to watch her carefully. Which I have been doing. She ate close to her full amount the sunday/monday night and a little bit bother last night and this morning before I left for a work thing.

She's made 3 small poops over the play time that we're doing right now. They're not her normal pellet size but they're larger than the ones that signaled something was wrong.

Basically I'm wondering if I should still be giving her the syringe right now in some capacity at least or if the general thought is she should be on the track to recovery?

She's still normally active and has been using her wheel more intensively again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please anyone? Seriously looking for advice from other experienced Hedgehoggers here. It would be greatly helpful.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Keep close track of how much she's eating, either weigh or count her kibble at night and again in the morning. As long as she is eating close to her normal amount I wouldn't syringe feed her. You could try offering the food you were giving her in the syringe in a dish and see if she wants to eat that. I wouldn't worry to much about the little amount of poop right now, she's been eating less kibble so that's probably why. Keep a close eye on her and if things get worse then she's going to need to go back in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm hoping things go back to normal soon or have gone back to normal now last night she ate a good deal of kibble not sure if it was more or less than a typical day but she ate a good deal. But today she's not eaten anything yet. I'm sure I'm just being hyper sensitive but this is very frustrating how do you guys deal with this? It's so hard just to wait and see >_<

1 - 14 of 14 Posts