Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I do? I tried carrots and cooked salmon as well, and Hector didn't touch it.
I won't be able to bring him to a vet until at the earliest Sunday ({if open) or Monday because tomorrow I have surgery.
So, any ideas?
Syringe food him? If so what and how?
=/

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hector is new to you, right? He's probably feeling stressed with the new environment.

Unless he was fed carrots and salmon before, those are probably new and scary to him. Stick with what he's familiar with. I'm hoping you have whatever kibbles he was fed before he came to live with you - put some of those in his dish near him under cover. He may feel safer eating under there.

Is he a young hog? Perhaps his kibbles are too big and you can break them into smaller pieces for him.

Make sure to count his kibbles so you know exactly how many he's eaten (he may be eating a tiny bit that you don't notice).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sometimes it takes a few days to adjust to a new home. They often won't eat or drink much for a day or two. If it lasts more than a couple of days, then syringe a little bit of food and water and call the vet. It's probably just the stress of moving to a new home, though, and hopefully will pass by tonight or tomorrow.
Did you change the food from what he was originally eating or is it the same? If you changed it, he may not recognize it as food.
Don't introduce any new treats for a couple of weeks because stress upsets his tummy anyway, and new food would be a double whammy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts