Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally found a breeder who is actually keeping in contact with me, with available baby hedgies, but she only offers a 2 year guarantee for the wobbly hedgehog syndrome.

The breeder claims that hedgehogs usually show signs of WHS before 2 years of age...
Is this true?

And should this breeder be trusted? o_o"

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
18 - 24 months is the average time that they develop it but they can get it at any age and lately there seem to be more cases of it not showing up until they are older.

My only experience with WHS was with Cinder and although her very first symptoms showed up at 18 months, these were such subtle symptoms that would have easily gone unnoticed had she not had another issue. She was 2 years, 3 months old when the wobbliness started and it was becoming noticeable that she probably had WHS.

HBA breeders require a lifetime WHS warranty so obviously she is not HBA. As for WHS warranties, sometimes they don't mean much, especially for those of us in Canada. If the breeder requires a necropsy report unless things have changed recently, there is no lab in Canada that is willing to check for WHS lesions. This means the brain and spinal column has to be sent to Colorado to be checked. Because of the border sending the hedgehog cannot be done as it won't get there fast enough. This means you have to have your vet remove the brain and spinal column and fix in formalin to be sent to CO. Depending on the vet, this can cost anywhere from $100 -$300 and then you have to pay shipping and for the necropsy when it arrives at CSU. I'd planned to do it for Cinder but with the exchange rate at the time it would have been between $350 & $400. In the end the cost wasn't worth it since she didn't have any descendants anyways. If the breeder requires a necropsy stating WHS before she will replace, chances are you can buy another baby cheaper than having the necropsy done. Some breeders will pay for the necropsy themselves or split the cost because it is to their benefit to find out if the hedgehog really did have WHS. The only way WHS can be confirmed is through necropsy/histopathology after death.

You can pm me the breeders name and I'll tell you if I've heard anything about them.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nancy said:
18 - 24 months is the average time that they develop it but they can get it at any age and lately there seem to be more cases of it not showing up until they are older.

My only experience with WHS was with Cinder and although her very first symptoms showed up at 18 months, these were such subtle symptoms that would have easily gone unnoticed had she not had another issue. She was 2 years, 3 months old when the wobbliness started and it was becoming noticeable that she probably had WHS.

HBA breeders require a lifetime WHS warranty so obviously she is not HBA. As for WHS warranties, sometimes they don't mean much, especially for those of us in Canada. If the breeder requires a necropsy report unless things have changed recently, there is no lab in Canada that is willing to check for WHS lesions. This means the brain and spinal column has to be sent to Colorado to be checked. Because of the border sending the hedgehog cannot be done as it won't get there fast enough. This means you have to have your vet remove the brain and spinal column and fix in formalin to be sent to CO. Depending on the vet, this can cost anywhere from $100 -$300 and then you have to pay shipping and for the necropsy when it arrives at CSU. I'd planned to do it for Cinder but with the exchange rate at the time it would have been between $350 & $400. In the end the cost wasn't worth it since she didn't have any descendants anyways. If the breeder requires a necropsy stating WHS before she will replace, chances are you can buy another baby cheaper than having the necropsy done. Some breeders will pay for the necropsy themselves or split the cost because it is to their benefit to find out if the hedgehog really did have WHS. The only way WHS can be confirmed is through necropsy/histopathology after death.

You can pm me the breeders name and I'll tell you if I've heard anything about them.
She seemed a little sketchy, because she was the only breeder I had seen so far who did not offer a life-time guarantee of WHS.

I've contacted several other breeders, so maybe you can tell me if they're reputable
Here are the breeders:

http://www.coeurpiquant.sitew.com/#Accueil.A
Ophelie Boivin, and her mother.

Elevage Lucky Pics
Melanie Guimond (I contacted her first, and I know she's active on this website)

Melanie also referred me to another breeder by the name of Melanie Dufour of Les Amy De Sonic

There is also Josee LaPierre

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.