Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 3 month old 2 legged Egyptian long eared hedgehog. His mom chewed off his back legs as a baby. He has been to the vet, so I do not need opinions on his welfare; professionals in this area are taking care of his health. I was wondering ideas for enrichment. He obviously cannot use a wheel, I've tried cat toys and a pom pom pit but they all seem to get boring after a while (which I totally understand!). I'm not sure what else to try! Thank you

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
485 Posts
So I'm curious, how well does he get around? If he gets around well, you could try tubes and mazes. My hedgehog likes a little house I have that has like that easter basket confetti stuff in it. I also just put toys in her cage for her to push around as well.

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
485 Posts
You could also try a dig box with snacks in it for him?

·
Administrator
3,605 Posts
So I'm curious, how well does he get around ?
Probably a lot better than you think.

I had a girl who slipped a disc in her back and left her rear leg paralyzed. She didn't live long due to a basal cell tumor that showed up later in her throat. But for the time she was here she enjoyed layers of blankets to explore through. She had legs so we had to be careful that she couldn't get them caught. But little mazes, tubes, and many layers of fleece were fun for her. It was amazing to me how well and fast she'd burrow through hunting. I bought high fat cat food as a treat for her. Sprinkle a few pieces in those layers and they would all be gone by morning. The biggest issue I had with her was securing her water bowl so that she didn't burrow under it, nor get the fabric in it.

Tubes, blankets to explore under and hide in, fleece forests, small stuffed animals/toys. Add in a few morsels of goodness mealworms, waxworms, or even a treat here and there to hunt and find. You have lots of options, it will just depend upon the personality of your hedgehog.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Can we see a picture of him? I bet he's cute :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
He is so cute!! Just out of curiosity, could we have a side angle? I am super curious to see how he gets around/ how his anatomy and bones have adjusted to having to walk on two back legs. Does he walk more upright or kind of scooch around? I am going into the veterinary field hopefully soon so I am just nerdy and curious lol :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Also, his coloring is BEAUTIFUL!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can try labyrinths, toys like puzzles from which a hedgehog can get food. I think this kind of play can amuse him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts