Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i was looking into getting another hedgehog. But i just wanted to look into it first and ask you guys whats best!

So currently i have 2 cages.. Harlow (My current hedgehog) is in a very large ferret playpen (dont worry, she cant escape) with her own wheel,fleece liners, food & water bowls, toys and 2 homes in different areas of the cage (warm side & cold(ish) side.

So i have a few questions about buying a number 2.

1) Can i house them together?
2) If No, Will they get along for playtime?
3) Harlows a female, I dont want babies, so do females get along with each other?
4) If I can house them together can they use the same water or food bowl? Or wheel?
5) Chances of harlow getting along with a new hedgie (Shes been here alone for a little over a month and a half now)

Thanks for all the help guys! I dont know what i would do without you all :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Those are good questions, there is a lot to consider before adding a hedgie to the house. First, ask yourself if you will have the time and funds for two hedgies. What if they get sick at the same time? Will you be able to afford hundreds of $$ of vet bills? Are you willing to have two of every single housing accessory in case they don't get along (if you are planning to keep them together?)?

The only pairings of hedgehogs you can do are female-female and male-female ONLY if one or both is spayed/neutered. Hedgies raised together tend to do best if housed together, but adults can be introduced and be perfectly fine. Playtime would be fine if you end up not housing them together, just keep an eye on them and watch for any attitude.

If you do house them together, it's best to have a large enough cage that you can have two hiding places if they want to get away from eachother, two dishes to prevent fighting over that, two wheels if necessary (if the wheel is big enough, they might run together). You'll have to have two of all these things on hand anyways, if the don't get along, so you can separate them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have the funds to afford both hedgehogs, I already have a huge home for my hedgehog and could very easily divide it, or even share it as one if they do get along. The only thing they would need seperately is food/water dishes and another wheel.
I will most likely get another female, I dont want to risk having babies!

I have a silent spinner (I know its bad, My boyfriend fixed the little slits in it though to make it 100% solid), so i will most likely buy a flying saucer as my next wheel. the silent spinner was 50$!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Twice the poop, time, laundry, space, and money. I'd say twice the love but in my case I didn't get that yet. Definitely has taken twice the time to ensure they are both being handled enough. I would not bank on them being together. If you get lucky, great, but don't bank on it just in case. Check that your next one is a girl yourself, look for that "belly button" boy even if the owners tell you its a girl. Oh and be prepared if you get a girl that it could already be pregnant. That seems to be happening to people adopting hedgie girls. Surprise! Ugh. I would not want that surprise, myself.
Glad you can take on another! Have you considered a Texas rescue one?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can handle all of that im sure, Me and my boyfriend have the time to take care of two for sure.
I live in Canada, British Columbia so texas is a little far away from us.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i'm uping my hedgies to two as well. i am getting two females that are still being weaned from their mommy in a few weeks (texas rescues.)

from what i understand, they can be housed together (provided the enclosure is big enough) as long as there is two of EVERYTHING because they don't like to share...and you should still be prepared to house them separately just in case.

since you already have the one hedgie already though, you may want to house them separately since that's what she is used too, and then just have supervised "together time" during play time.

i've been buying two of everything for weeks, (dishes, tons of liner materials since i'll be up to my ears in hedgepig laundry) so i could space out my finances, and save for their impending vet bills. now i'm ready for them, and even though i've spent and saved more than a few hundred bucks i didn't have to do it all at once and that has really helped. so i'd say if you decide to expand the family start shopping sooner, rather than later.

i also saved some cash by recycling goodwill polar fleece blankets to make liners...80 cents to 2 bucks each and all of the ones i found were like new...i just washed them and sewed em up. i saved a bundle, since fleece runs me 5-8 bucks a yard usually. plus i got a second pet carrier on craigslist for 10 dollars that just needed cleaned and was otherwise almost new. i also used the scraps from the liners to make them little pet beds and toys. their "pigloos" are autually plastic containers from dollar tree with a door cut into the front and vent holes drilled in the tops...(just make sure their are no rough edges!)

i'd say it's pretty easy to cut corners on things like that so you can spend the money on food, wheels, and vet bills.

good luck.
:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! Well, i will start buying things as of now..to prepare..and i already have, i have two homes, TONS of liner (probably will buy a few more tommorrow).. 2 cages.. all i need is two more bowls and another wheel. and of course,the hedgehog :lol:

Im sure i will be able to handle two hedgehogs, as me and my boyfriend will have plenty of time to care for both,we have made a routine with harlow, so if we both just take those seperate duties we should be a o k.
Im excited! Ive already thought of names.
I like tibby

·
Registered
902 Posts
Some of the Texas Rescues were taken to Canada, please contact the Hedgehog Welfare Society if you are interested. They have adoption forms on their site. I do not know if the ones that went to Canada were forever homes or if they were foster homes so there might be one available to you.
http://www.hedgehogwelfare.org/

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
krbshappy71 said:
Some of the Texas Rescues were taken to Canada, please contact the Hedgehog Welfare Society if you are interested. They have adoption forms on their site. I do not know if the ones that went to Canada were forever homes or if they were foster homes so there might be one available to you.
http://www.hedgehogwelfare.org/
All the rescues that went to Canada went to forever homes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts