·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He tried hibernating the other day,
I warmed him up and all went well and he was fine,
although I did notice he didnt wake up that night,
I thought it may of just been tiring to try and hibernate,
but once again he didnt wake uo last night to play around.
I know hes not trying to hibernate again because I get worried and take him out,
and no signs of hibernation, hes running and everything.

Any help would be great ! thanks !

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
How much is he eating? What is the temperature of his cage?

It sounds to me like either he is still not warm enough to be active, or he is sick. I would take him to the vet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is he is actually very active when I take him out, more then normal actually,
his cage is alot warmer than it was before, its around 28 celcius as a rough estimate,
it was before around 17 celcius. When I take him out I always put him back beside his food and he eats and drinks alot there. We have no small animal vets around here, and last time I tried to take a guinne pig to one they said there was nothing they could do, its about a 2 hour drive the next small animal vet :(.
Another weird thing is I noticed him kinda wandering around his cage on and off during the day, could this also be a sign that while im at school he is active and that hes becoming less nocturnal?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would recommend buying a nice thermometer that shows min and max on it to keep an eye on the temperature. I would presume that 17oC is WAYYY too low for your little guy. I keep my hedgehog nice and cozy all the time at a pleasant 24 degrees (~75F) using an oil filled space heater.

Everytime that your little guy tries to hibernate.. he gets weaker and weaker.. I would seriously try to get a better setup to help your little fella stay alive..

RtC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im over in oakville ontario,
and from talking to one of the vets in my city they told me id be going for quite the drive to find someone who deals with them, and yea I was thinking about getting a thermometre tomorrow !

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
If it is really 28C in his cage it is probably to hot for him, if they get to hot they try to estivate, which is alot like hibernation but when they get to hot instead of to cold....try to keep the heat around 23-24C most seem happiest at the temp, and its important to keep it constant as changes in temp can cause them to hibernate

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
o_O Wow, you're where I keep my horse.

Hmm, from the vet listing page here http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/veton.shtml there's should be 2 vet clinics within an hour of you(not counting traffic :twisted: ), there's one in mississauga and one in burlington.

Creditview Animal Hospital
4040 Creditview Drive
Mississauga, Ontario L5C 3Y8
905-566-8387
exotics

Appleview Animal Hospital
4490 Fairview Street
Burlington, Ontario
hedgehogs

Highway construction sucks :lol: but they shouldn't be too far from you.

And if he's wandering around during the day, could it be that he's now too hot? If your estimate is correct. Especially since he seems to be used to slightly cooler, the 23-24 mark, as others have mentioned seem to be best. I have my whole apartment at ~23-24 all the time.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Here's a great vet in Toronto that a person who is getting one of my babies uses for her hedgehogs.

Dr Samantha Munn
Greenwood Park Animal Hospital

1041 Gerrard Street East
Toronto, Ontario
M4M 1Z6

Tel: 416.778.6666
Fax: 416.778.6688

Email: [email protected]

http://www.drmunn.ca/

She is very hedgehog experienced and is great. Hedgiemate can tell you more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts