Hedgehog Central banner

Vomiting mucus!? Please help 😭

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  HappyHedgehogs 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, so I'm quite concerned about my Hedgehog Mouse. He has had a URI since I got him, and I don't know his past "breathing history". He was diagnosed at the vet with a URI about a month ago. He was given 10 days worth of antibiotics but still didn't show any improvement. So I took him back and got another course. I was also told to steam him in the shower everyday. I have seen improvement in his squeaky breathing and he doesn't snore as much at night. But I have noticed the past two days, that after running around a bit, he starts to vomit snot. The vet said that the infection should be gone, and that all that's left to do is to get rid of the snot from his nose. However she never mentioned that would be done via his mouth! Is this a normal way to get rid of leftover URI mucus? She asked me to bring him in again if he ever stopped eating or drinking, but he is doing that fine, and is very active. Any help please?! I could do with some reassurance, as it is stressing me out. She said he could have an underlying breathing problem, that just makes him sound different to other hedgehogs (he's quite a loud breather) since we don't know what he sounded like before I got him. Mentally I cannot take the sounds of him snoring, or sneezing or being sick anymore, it just makes me upset to see him like that, and angry at the previous owners for selling me a sick hedgehog. If I was more experienced I would have noticed, but being my second Hedgehog and not dealing with any health problems in Hedgehogs before, I just thought he breathed slightly louder than others.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd suggest calling your veterinarian and providing her with an update on how your hedgehog is doing. Whenever you have a change that is concerning you, give them a call. Its good for them to know how things are progressing, and they can provide you with information of if they want to see the hedgehog again, want to prescribe additional treatments or discontinue treatment if something isn't going right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.