|07-27-2017 12:32 AM|
1. Get him off newspaper asap. Newspaper is cold when wet and the ink on the paper is potentially toxic. Kiln dried pine shavings are fine to use for bedding. So are aspen and other wood shavings with the exception of cedar which causes respiratory problems in hedgehogs. If you don't want wood shavings, use either paper bedding (again, not newspaper) or a fleece liner.
As for the itchy part, at his age he could be quilling, so itchy is normal. It could also be dry skin. It could also be mites. You can put a couple of drops of Vitamin E oil on his back to help ease the itching if all it is is dry skin or quilling. If it's mites a vet visit is necessary so you can get Revolution to treat it.
2. I can't tell from the pictures how his eye looks. Again, that's something you'd need a vet for. Even if we could see it, all we could tell you is that it is irritated and that you need a vet.
3. If you're referring to the line in the middle of his head that has no quills, that's normal. It's often referred to as a reverse mohawk. All hedgehogs have that.
4. The black spots look like it's just his coloring. If you don't feel if that is the case, give him a bath and see if it changes or comes off.
5. Again, the photos are too blurry to tell anything. If it's dry, vitamin e oil might help, but be careful putting anything on his face.
6. He's a baby. Baby's sleep. A lot. Schedules are a very good thing to have. But you're going to have to choose a time in the evening to get him out. Don't wait for him, or you'll be up very very late every night.
|07-26-2017 11:41 PM|
itchyness, black spots and other health issues (can't go to vet)
so yeah i'm new, both here and with hedgehogs
i got Huxley just 2 days ago and maybe it's just me being paranoid but i noticed some things off place. please take into account that there's no vet for hedgehogs where i live. yes, having one in this conditions may be irresponsible, i know. that's exactly why every little detail worries me.
Huxley is 2 months and a half, male. the beeding he came with was pine shavings. i know this all may be mites, but idk if all this symptoms can enter in that. his nails are very large, i plan on cutting them soon.
1. he's been itchy as **** since i got him into the cage i made for him. the beeding he has right now is newspaper pages.
1.5 i think he scratches his left eye a lot and this made it a liiiitle bit irritated.
2. his skin is dry, i think. i've seen pictures of it, but i don't know if i can fully identify this. i will post photos of it down bellow.
3. there's a spot in the middle of his face that looks like it has no quills in there. i don't know if maybe new ones are growing there or what, but it worries me.
4. he has some weird black spots on his legs and tail. they look just like a weird big freckle. i feel like it may be something normal for them, but i haven't seen anything like that in any pictures so i don't know. photos down bellow.
5. his face looks really, really dry. photos bellow.
6. he's been sleeping all day and big part of the night, i wasn't asleep when he woke up in the middle of the night but i know he did by the messier looks of the cage. i was worried and i wanted to make a feeding schedule, to make a routine, but it was around 10:30 and he still didn't woke up. I woke him up and he ate some, then i took the photos and he went almost directly back to sleep. i know this one may be just me being paranoid.
please, please answer. is there's anything wrong with him?? i don't want to keep being worried not even knowing if there's an actual reason for this.