Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - Reply to Topic
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Thread: I Think I'm Developing an Allergy :( Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
07-13-2016 09:17 AM
FinnickHog If I give him a bath and am drying him off and he pokes me I get welts, so it doesn't seem to matter what's on him, unless I'm allergic to the Aveeno oatmeal baby wash, which I doubt because I use a similar product on my face.

Cold water right afterward stops the pain, but the itching still kicks in pretty quickly and lasts the same amount of time than if I didn't use cold water, so not much change there.

It's just Finn and a bunch of reptiles and frogs in there right now, and I have no problem with any of the snakes or their bedding or feces, but I don't usually get it in open wounds. Pepper is downstairs in the living room so I doubt I'm getting dander pokes.

So far I've only experienced a reaction on my hands. Finn only really gets spikey right when I pick him up so it's almost always my hands that get jabbed. I'm scared to see what happens if he pokes me somewhere else.

I'll pick up some hydrocortizone cream later today and see if that helps, and if not I'll probably grab some Claritin. Thanks guys!

I'm really worried it's going to keep getting worse, just like with continual exposure to peanuts in someone with a peanut allergy, or someone with a bee sting allergy who keeps getting stung. From the other threads I've seen on hedgehog poke allergies it does seem to gradually get worse with each poke. I'll have to check Finn's birth certificate but I'm pretty sure he's only a year and a half old, so that's a lot more pokes yet.
07-13-2016 08:34 AM
twobytwopets Before jumping to meds here's some things to try/ keep in mind.
When they poke us they are nice enough to poke us with whatever gunk they have on them and whatever we have on our skin.
Cold water, before and after. But not necessarily soap and water right before. Gentle soap.
Well hydrated skin takes the pokes better. And really rough skin doesn't seem to be bothered much by it.
Oatmeal is soothing to us as well so an oatmeal soap might be of some relief, also aloe could provide some relief.
You might want to take a wash rag and give Finn a quick wipe before really bonding. This may be especially true with the dig box and anything like that.
If nothing is giving you relief, try Hydrocortizone cream or a lotion for itchy skin conditions.
Who all shares a room with Finn? The reptiles shouldn't have a direct effect but possibly some bedding or dust could be drifting it's way to his cage and onto him. If Pepper is one of his neighbors, the dander may be a factor.
For me the cold water is a big help, but you've seen me suggest it so probably have tried it and wouldn't post this unless it wasn't working for you.
Also, some body parts are more sensitive than others. If one of my hedgehogs is sitting on my belly and pokes, I'll have welts for a week.
07-13-2016 08:17 AM
Artemis-Ichiro How about Claritin? That wouldn't make you sleepy but take few days to kick in completely. Zyrtec after few days, most people get used to it and don't get sleepy anymore.

Not sure about that type of allergy but with peanut allergy, the more times you are exposed the worse it becomes, that happens to my daughter.


And that sucks!
07-13-2016 05:45 AM
FinnickHog
I Think I'm Developing an Allergy :(

Back when I first got Finn, he'd give me a poke and it would tingle for a while and then go away. Now, a year and a half later (I think?) when he pokes me I get a searing pain for about fifteen minutes and then small round itchy welts will start forming everywhere the quills made contact.

I don't have any other allergies, so this is really odd for me. I have a few "sensitivities" that when combined give me pretty crazy hay fever, but that's it. Actually having a visible reaction to something is weird.

Antihistamine pills knock me unconscious so unless I want to sleep forever they aren't an option, which makes things complicated. I have the reaction right after Finnick has had a bath or if he hasn't had one in months. It makes no difference.

Is there anything I can do about it? Is it going to keep getting worse?

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum