|11-09-2014 08:33 PM|
As I wrote in my previous post. Take her off the bedding tonight and if she is still sneezing just as much tomorrow night, she needs to see the vet. If the bedding is causing it, you will see her sneezing lessening fairly quickly.
Worry about the respiratory infection first by taking her off the loose bedding. Once you find out if it is a URI or the bedding, you can then decide what to do about her possibly being pregnant.
Respiratory infections are serious and can quickly turn to pneumonia. The early they are treated, the better the outcome.
|11-09-2014 08:30 PM|
|nikki||Oh you're right!! she should use some loose bedding in case the hedgie is pregnant, sorry I think my brain took a holiday without me...lol.|
|11-09-2014 08:04 PM|
|harleyx||Well should I wait a little bit after taking the bedding out to see if she stops sneezing or take her to the vet ASAP? Also if she is still active could that be an indicator if she is sick or not? I know she was running on her wheel last night by the amount of poop I had to clean off of it this morning.|
|11-09-2014 08:00 PM|
|Lilysmommy||Should she stick with some kind of loose bedding in case the hedgie is pregnant though?|
|11-09-2014 07:59 PM|
I would get her to the vet as soon as possible. If you wait it could turn into pneumonia which can be fatal.
A lot of people use fleece liners for bedding in their cages, if you look under the cage set up thread you'll see what it is.
|11-09-2014 06:29 PM|
Okay, hopefully they help cover the bill. I just can't see it being fair that I have to pay for it when I just got her yesterday. The closed at 5 today so I'm going to call first thing in the morning and see what they say. How long should I wait before taking her to the vet?
Also, I just took the corn litter out and replaced it with a couple tshirts. She seems kind of confused lol, but I just watched her eat a little so that's good. What kind of bedding do you recommend I get now?
|11-09-2014 06:20 PM|
Because it varies so much its really hard to say what it could cost. I wanted to mention that its good to get her to the vet now because if she is pregnant you need to have a vet that you can take her to if she has any problems with her pregnancy or delivery. If you've only had her since yesterday the pet store "should" pay for the vet visit. They may want you to take her to a vet they use though so call them before going to your vet.
When I first got a hedgehog it was from a pet store too and she ended up having a URI and the pet store paid for the vet visit. I just had to send them a copy of the vet bill.
|11-09-2014 06:16 PM|
Okay. Does anyone know the cost for this kind of vet visit? I know it carries with the vet but I'm in college and it's just cost a lot more than expected for her. I knew I was going to have to take her to the vet eventually I just wasn't really prepared for this many expenses at once.
I'm going to call the pet store tomorrow and see if they will help cover the vet bill, if the only thing they can do is take her back I'm just going to say forget it. I would be too scared they would just kill her and I definitely would never be able to just trade her out for a different one.
|11-09-2014 06:16 PM|
|nikki||Pregnancy wouldn't make her sneeze but you will have to assume she's pregnant. Always follow Nancy's advice, she has the most experience around here.|
|11-09-2014 06:04 PM|
Yep, she's sneezing and it sounds a bit wet. Take her off the corn cob cob tonight as Nikki mentioned. If she is still sneezing by tomorrow evening I'd get her to the vet.
She is adorable.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|