Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - Reply to Topic
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Thread: Advice for surgery on 3.5 yr old--female, uterine tumor Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
02-28-2014 03:11 PM
Lussy I' sharing your sad feeling here with you coz I know what Love for that spiky ball means. maybe I have to spay my 2 year and 3 months old girl....the vet saw no tumor but I'm always afraid that being unariccia so tiny the ultrasound could have missed it somehow or made the vet misinterpret it.
I'm with you and Nara in spirit...whatever decision you make!!! <3
02-28-2014 08:39 AM
MomLady Thank you all, you've pretty much confirmed my decision.

It's never easy, is it?


02-27-2014 08:27 PM
Kalandra I've had surgery on hedgehogs who were over 4. I have not had a spay done, but I have had some rather complicated tumor removals that took time to excise. There is always risk with surgery. You have to judge the condition of the hedgehog and determine for yourself if you think they will survive. For a hedgehog that is active, strong, eating well, and otherwise healthy, I don't hesitate too much to get it done. I trust my vet and know he is very experienced though. You have to trust your vet and his experience. My experience and opinion is its better to remove tumors before the animal starts to deteriorate and while the tumor is smaller.
02-27-2014 07:02 PM
Nancy At 3.5 I would go for the surgery as long as she is still active and otherwise healthy. Prolonging the surgery only allows the tumour to continue growing.

Surgery is always a risk, but I don't consider 3.5 to be too old or the risks to be too high. If she was a year or more older then I'd be more hesitant.

Basically it's you have two options. Do the surgery which carries a small risk, but could cure her, or leave the tumour and her death is certain and possibly not that far away depending on how the tumour grows.
02-27-2014 06:39 PM
Lilysmommy I'm sorry you've gotten such bad news.

I have no experience with spaying, so take my advice with a grain of salt - but it seems like it would be better to get the surgery done sooner, even though she's older? I would think things would just get worse if you wait. But like I said, I could be totally wrong on the risks. Nancy or Kalandra will probably have more experienced and helpful advice for you. Lots of hugs to you and Nara, and I hope you enjoy every moment you have left with her for now. Give her an extra treat from me.
02-27-2014 06:39 PM
Aether My girl was only a little over a year old and still did not survive her surgery. Of course by then she had lost a LOT of blood, so I knew her chances were slim. It's always a tough choice to make between letting her be and having a risky surgery, but if the vet saw a tumor, it's going to be there until they remove it.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I will let you know that the longer you wait, the weaker she could get, making her chances even more slim.

My Relm seemed to improve greatly the week before she passed away, so sometimes that is not a good way to tell if she is truly "fine" or not.

I'm so sorry you're facing this decision. =/
02-27-2014 06:16 PM
Advice for surgery on 3.5 yr old--female, uterine tumor

My 3.5 year old girl Nara has been experiencing uterine bleeding.

The vet says it's uterine and has given me Clavamox and Metacam for the time being.

They gassed her and took xrays and did blood work, also gave her a mani/pedi while she was out.

Vet says they can see the tumor on the xray but thinks it is only uterine right now.

Haven't got the results back from the blood work, not sure what that might show--maybe elevated liver or kidney levels?

I know several of you have had a LOT of experience in spaying but Nara will be 4 years old in July. The vet says it's kind of risky since she's an "older gal".

Right now she is eating, running, pooping and peeing normally. In fact, she is mellowing out and not being her normal huffy self.

I am not sure if I should risk surgery now or wait.

Any advice is appreciated. The quill-ball owns my heart and I don't want to lose her, but she doesn't seem to be suffering.

I have been on this site and seen so many hedgies lost to tumors and cancer and it's my turn now.

Thank you.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum