Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - Reply to Topic
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Thread: devastated Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
09-26-2013 10:56 PM
SpikeMoose I am so sorry for what your and your baby are going through. I will be thinking of you both all day tomorrow. I wish you strength and comfort, you are truly being selfless in doing what is best for him. It is one of the most painful decisions, but you are taking away any pain he may have.
He will pass over in a calm, loving, and peaceful environment.
09-26-2013 12:13 PM
Nancy IMO oral tumours are the worst and most difficult for us to make the final decision. Even though the tumour is huge, hedgie usually continues to eat and behaves normally and seems happy. The tumour has to be massive or growing up into their head before hedgie shows any symptoms affecting their behaviour. These %&#*%& tumours grow so fast and often by the time we notice it outwardly it is already massive inside their mouth and past the point where surgery will help.

Helping them to cross is never an easy decision and we always second guess our decision and do the what if's afterward. The saying "better a day too soon, than a minute too late" is never more true than in the case of an oral tumour.

I'm sorry you have to make this decision but you are doing the best thing for him so he doesn't suffer.

09-26-2013 08:05 AM
Lilysmommy I'm so sorry you and your boy are going through this. *hugs* Just try and remember that hard as it is for you...you're doing the right thing by keeping him from more pain and suffering. It sounds like he had a very long and good life...and I know we never think it's long enough, but that's the hard part of having animals in our life. Treasure your last couple days with the little guy. I'll keep you both in my thoughts.
09-26-2013 01:57 AM
Fragglicious I feel so empty. I made his appt to be taken care of. The antibiotics are not making a difference. It is bigger and when I give him the antibiotics I can see in his mouth. It is not a tooth. It does not appear to be in his mouth. We go in on Friday. I had to leave work today as I could not keep it together. I had him out tonight. It made it worse because he wanted to anoint and couldn't reach his quills. =( I am sorry I do not have better news.
09-25-2013 07:12 PM
grins&needles I've been sad about your hedgie all day I'm checking in to see if any news! I'm hopeful!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
09-25-2013 04:49 PM
ZeeMartin since you've got antibiotics, I'd run the course of those and see what happens. if it is an abscess the antibiotics should show some effect within 3 or 4 days and you'll see swelling go down. give the full number of days of treatment to see if it works. if it's a tumor, you'll see no improvement. once the antibiotics have had a chance to work you can consider what you need to do next based on how your little guy does.
09-25-2013 03:19 PM
GoodandPlenty The cost of animal health care is as crazy as people health care. It can get out of hand in a hurry. Either way, if you don't have the money, you are just stuck. It's about impossible to know what the 'right' choice is sometimes.

If it is a tooth, then treatment might make him good as new. He's an old man though; if it is a tooth, it might be way bigger than that and be several teeth; that is, a lot of work would be needed. You can't know whether it is one tooth, five teeth, or a tumor without the diagnosis. That step should give a you much clearer information. Whatever it is, pain-wise it is likely to get a lot worse in a hurry. My best guess is that you'll have to make some decision immediately.
09-25-2013 02:55 PM
AngelaH My heart goes out to you and your little old man. Poor guy looks very uncomfortable. I can't offer any advice since I haven't been through this, I have no idea what I would do.
09-25-2013 11:56 AM
grins&needles 7 years is very impressive and your little guy has such a sweet face. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I cannot offer advise except that we are here to listen!
09-25-2013 11:10 AM
Nancy The vet should have been able to make a fairly accurate assessment if this is a tooth issue or a tumour just by looking in his mouth. Looking at his face, I'd lean more towards a tumour just by how it's starting to displace his eye. Is the lumpy area firm or soft?

Would you be able to get a picture of his mouth with his gum pulled up, or inside his mouth? Watch for a yawn and be ready to take a quick picture.

Poor old guy. Oral tumours take way too many of our precious little ones.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum